7

[ 4 x 11 ]

[ 4 x 11 ]

The Outsider

✰ 

It was the next day in Kattegat. 

Tyra woke up late and by the time she was up, people were still whispering about her father's return. A she walked through the market a few people pointed and muttered to their friends, but the girl kept her head up high and carried on walking. There was no point in letting those people bother her, especially when she considered herself above petty gossip. 

So her father had returned, get over it. 

She looked for the elusive figure who had taken part in her conception and when she saw him headed to Floki's, she decided to leave him for now. 

Returning to the great hall when she found no one to bother Tyra greeted her mother with a short hug and smile and sat down beside her. Pulling her sword out of her holster her mother handed her a small dagger from her wrist. 

"If you're going to use a blade, make sure it's sharp." Aslaug had said that to her when she first showed her interest in fighting, no more sitting around in dresses. And although she loved that her children were strong, viking warriors, she still worried every time her daughter would fight a man three times her size. 

Tyra wasn't small in hight and physically she was lean with toned muscle but if a man chose to overpower her, Aslaug wanted to make sure her daughter had every fighting chance. 

"Mother," Tyra said quietly as they sat inside next to the fire, her mother hummed in response, carving a leather strap in her lap. "I think I- never mind." 

Aslaug looked up briefly, "What were you going to say?"

"It doesn't matter." The small dagger screeched as it went down the length of her sword, it was rounded on one side and the handle was wrapped with leather with all kind of designs on, ranging from Thor's hammer to the snake Sigurd had received his name. 

"Of course it matters, now tell me what troubles you." There was no arguing with her mother's tone. 

She sharpened her blade a final time. "I think I want to go to England with Father." Aslaug's sharp eyes narrowed at her daughter, Tyra left to explain. "I've never been on a proper raid, and I think it would help me with my sailing. Not to mention, I could spend more time with father." 

Her mother didn't respond, only kissed her forehead and walked out the room. Her maidens following behind. 

Tyra groaned not knowing how that went at all. Was her mother happy? Sad? Irritated? A headache began to form and she tucked her sword away and began to massage her temples. Why her brothers never got into arguments with their mother astounded her, if you could even call that an argument. More like a one sided spat in which her mother stormed off.