6

[ 4 x 11 ]

[ 4 x 11 ]

The Outsider

"WHO WANTS TO BE KING?!"

Tyra slicked back behind people as her father - who she hadn't seen in ten years - prowled around the people surrounding him, she had no desire to be the centre of his attention whilst he was in this state.

It wasn't hard for Ragnar to pick out his children, even after ten years, marching up to Sigurd who stood glaring. He was always the most bitter, Tyra thought, he would probably agree with her.

"What about you, Sigurd? Do you want to be king?" Ragnar's voice dropped to a normal volume but still seemed loud as all who stood around him could hear. Tyra took a good look at her father, his hair was completely gone, bald head covered with tattoos. Blue eyes seeming like the brightest summer sky surrounded by sunken skin and wrinkles cornering them.

When Sigurd gave no response their father moved to Ubbe. Hvitserk shared a look with Tyra through the crowd of people. "Do you want to be king, Ubbe? Kill me and you are king. King Ubbe!" Ragnar turned to the crowd with a manic grin and Tyra ducked behind a man when his eyes scanned her spot, he then turned and smacked his son across the face. "What are you waiting for?" Another smack. "Are you afraid?! Be a man!" He chuckled as Ubbe flared his nostrils with wide, unbelieving eyes.

Ragnar eventually stepped back and buried a hand in Ivar's head, he looked up at his father in shock but a small smile came to his face. The king wandered to the other side of the circle, right in front of the people who were shielding Tyra, but his attention was stolen when steps were taken forward.

"Your sister? Maybe she would like to be queen." 

Ubbe dragged his sword and their father held out his arms, like he was embracing death, yet when he realised no blow would come he stepped forward, grasped his neck and brought him into a hug.

The crowd murmured, all about their king and Tyra wanted to be swallowed by a hole. Typically she wasn't a shy person, only when nervous about seeing her father after ten years. She still never told anyone that he told her he was leaving, the next morning Aslaug went into a fit and her brothers went through various phases of searching. Young Tyra still never shared the secret.

Björn pushed his way through the crowd, silence falling among them as he did. The eldest son of Ragnar was no small boy and easily towered over others. He crossed his arms over his chest as looked at his father who had separated from Ubbe, "Why did you come back?"

"How about we take this somewhere more private, hmm?" Ubbe suggested, placing a hand on his fathers shoulder looking to Björn, who gave in and nodded. When the town decided they weren't going to be getting any action from the royal family they all dispersed. Her brothers all gravitated towards their father, even Ivar who crawled forward and Tyra found that this was a family gathering she could afford to miss.