9

[ 4 x 12 ]

[ 4 x 12 ]

The Vision

Tyra bit off another piece of bread and chewed it silently, watching her family with cautious and slightly revolted eyes. It was obvious that Ivar was on some sort of power trip, using the blonde slave girl her brothers all fawned over as his personal slave.

Agmuntr had told her the day before there were rumours going around the village that each of of her brothers had had sex with the slave. Right now she wished she could have been with the twins, their family dinners were always way more fun. Their grandfather was one of the oldest people in the village, he had some fantastic stories which he always told with such energy bringing the tales to life.

The only daughter rolled her eyes from her place between Ubbe and Hvitserk as the slave girl hand fed Ivar. Ubbe watched them and let out a forced laugh, his face pulled in displeasure.

"What are you laughing at? Hmm?" Ivar turned and leant down to bite the food from her hands, grinning at his older brother. "She's my special servant now. And she has a lot of reasons to be grateful to me." He held her hand but the slave girl didn't look up, only staring straight at the table as if her mind was completely blank.

Tyra could admit that the slave girl was prettier than most, but at the end of the day she wasn't anything special. She couldn't fight, wasn't born to a good family, only served people higher than her and Tyra wouldn't bother helping her as bad it sounds. This wasn't the first time her brothers had gotten all flustered over the same girl and she doubted it would be the last.

"I'm not sure I believe you, little brother." Ubbe retorted.

"And I'm sure you're jealous." Ivar looked far too pleased with himself.

"You cannot keep a slave to yourself," Hvitserk felt the need to get involved and Tyra wished to bang her head against the table until she never woke up. His head shook slightly, "No, not like that."

Ivar pulled an innocent face and turned to their mother on his left, "Mother, tell them to stop tormenting me." He still held the slave girl's hand and Tyra did feel sorry that she had to sit through this dinner.

"It makes me so happy you are with a woman." Aslaug smiled completely ignoring the rest of the conversation. Ivar seemed displeased with this answer and clenched the girls hand tighter, their mother didn't notice as she looked at the rest of her children. "The rest of you should already be married. Ubbe, you should have children."

"I probably already have." Ubbe joked throwing a small piece of food over the table, all the siblings chuckled at Ubbe's comment.

Aslaug smiled and continued, "Just because you are the sons of a king does not mean you can be irresponsible. It's important to find a woman and settle down." She didn't stop there. "And you Tyra, we must find you a husband to marry so you can bless him with many sons." She chocked on her mead at her mothers words, her brothers looking equally as shocked. It wasn't often that the fact Tyra was of age and unmarried was brought up, especially since her brothers tended to get a bit overprotective.