2

✰

Tyra hated waking up. Simple as that.

It often came as a blessing to Aslaug who found herself busy with little five year old Ivar who was born only ten months after her daughter. But then again, Tyra's long sleeping habits could also be a pain since she often was late to meals such as breakfast as she tended to oversleep.

It was now one of those occasions. The newly turned seven year old girl rubbed the eyes from her sleep, blinking lazily at the small amount of light that flooded her room from under the door. Slowly, she pulled herself out of bed, yawning and scratching her messy bed head the blonde carelessly pulled off her sleep dress and slipped on her faded blue day dress. It reached her ankles and was tight around her arms.

Tyra didn't bother with shoes as she walked out her room, eyes puffy with sleep and barely open she wandered into the main hall where her family was already sat, nearly done with breakfast. Plopping herself down on her chair beside Aslaug, she barely glanced at her mother and Ivar who sat on her lap.

Tyra loved her younger brother with all her heart but it was way too early to deal with his babbling.

"Good morning sister," her eldest brother, Bjorn, spoke amused. He didn't usually join them for breakfast and rarely saw this version of his usually mischievous baby sister.

The seven year old waved without looking up and rested her head on the table. Shoving a piece of bread in her mouth she could feel stares.

"Princess' do not slouch at the table," Aslaug reprimanded her daughter whilst wiping Ivar's chin. Ragnar rolled his eyes subtly as did Bjorn.

Tyra sighed as she sat back, her hair completely crazy as Aslaug usually braided her hair once Ivar was fed for the morning.

"How did you sleep?" Ubbe asked his younger sister from next to her, used to the same answer she had given since she was little.

"Like a rock." And there it was. No one could remember who, but when she was little someone must've said they slept like a rock because one day, little Tyra started saying it and continued to say it.

"Any plans for today?" Ragnar asked his daughter, already knowing what they would be doing today. His eyes twinkled for the first time since the fail of Paris. The army had only returned a few days ago, and Ragnar knew what he had to do. But for the past days, he had dedicated his time to his children, his daughter was the only one left.

Tyra shrugged her small shoulders, "Brüna is busy," her best friend Brüna was a girl her age from a fishing family who lived on the outskirts of Kattegat. "So no, nothing to do."

It seems that's the answer her father wanted as he ushered her from the table, grabbing another piece of bread and fruit for her since she'd hardly eaten anything. Ragnar quickly braided her hair with expertise, little braids fell down the back as the front half was braided away from her face.