Chapter 26

"How do you let it go when you, you just don't know
What's on the other side of the door when you're walking out? Talk about it
And everything I tried to remember to say just went out my head
So I'ma do the best I can to get you to understand 'cause I know
There's never a right time to say goodbye (Yeah)
But I gotta make the first move
'Cause if I don't you gonna start hating me."
Chris Brown "Say Goodbye"

Eva

"I knew this was going to happen." I sighed, tossing my phone onto the bed. David's phone went to voicemail for the fourth time in a row. I got up from the bed and took a tissue to dry my face. I didn't really feel like going up this morning, but I did because of today's event and got all dolled up. I actually felt pretty today with this nice dress and my makeup looked beautiful. I just feel so drained at this moment.

"Eva?" I heard a knock at the door. It was Chev.

"Come in."

"We're ready for you. Everything looks amazing and everybody is here. Sis, what's wrong?" She asked, looking at my teary eyes.

"David is not here."

"Maybe he's running late. He could be stuck in traffic. We're not far from the arena. You know a bunch of people are pulling up for that Drake concert."

"Why do you keep making excuses for him?"

"I'm not. I'm just trying to make you feel better. Did you try calling him?"

"I did. It doesn't even ring. If you're stuck in traffic, you could at least call or text me to relay that information."

"There could be an issue with his phone. It could be dead or he forgot to pay it."

"Chev, please. I'm not surprised by any of this right now. I don't want to sound selfish because I want this music thing to work for him, but I feel like he's over this relationship. I'm just his baby momma now."

"Eva, don't say that."

"He's not here for our baby shower. He's not answering my calls. He doesn't check up on us. I'm just tired!"

"Honey, I'm going to need you to calm down. Don't let this ruin today's festivities. We're all here for you."

"I don't even want to do this anymore." I left the room and walked through the living room to go into the backyard.

"Eva." My Mom called out.

"I just need some air. Give me a couple minutes please." I pulled the sliding door closed as I stepped into the grass. I took a deep sigh and slowly walked over to the swing set that was under a canopy.

Today is supposed to be our baby shower, a joyful day filled with laughter and love. We've had to reschedule it twice to fit David's schedule, but he's not even here. It was originally supposed to be when I was 32 weeks and now I'm 38.

To stop inconveniencing distant relatives and friends, I just had them send their gifts. This baby shower is only my parents, siblings, friends, and his folks and friends.

I don't have the time or energy to be stressing over something like this. I'm trying to focus on being ready for the baby's arrival and praying for a safe delivery for the both of us.

David signed with Nas's label and dropped another tape. He's been booking back to back appearances in the States. He's getting ready to drop a full length album. He's on tour with the label that just released an album as a group. He's planning on doing his own world tour or open up for someone based on the response of his new project.