Chapter 3

"Thanks for holdin' down the household when times was bad
As a man, I apologize for my dad
When the rent was due, you would hustle like a pimp would do
That wasn't the life meant for you
You're a queen, you deserve the cream, everything that gleamed
Everything that shines, everything that's mine."
JAY-Z "Anything"

Dave

"How do I look?" I asked Keyshia.

"Handsome." She replied, fixing my arm cuffs.

"I'm feeling nervous for some reason, and I don't really know why." I'm finally visiting my Mom. She's living innone of the best memory care facilities in the country. She's basically independent in her activities, but has assistance if needed.

"That's understandable. You haven't seen her in a long time and don't know how she'll receive you, but I assure you that the sight of you will wash away any grudge she may have against you. Do you remeber what we walked about before about her condition?"

"Yeah, I pray every night that she'll get better and become the woman she was before."

"Your mother has changed over the past few years, so I want you to be patient with her. Whether or not she recognizes you at first, give her some time. You getting upset won't help this matter. It will only make it worse."

"I'll try."

"Okay. I want you to drive safe and try to have a good time."

"Thanks. I'll buy you those chips you like on my way back."

"You're the best. Now run along. I need to get some work done, so I can watch my show."

"What show is it?"

"Power."

"By 50 cent?"

"Yeah."

"I heard all the books are good."

"They are. You should watch it sometime. I promise you, you'll be hooked."

"I just might. See you later."

"Bye. Be good."

I didn't grow up with my pops. He abandoned my Mom when she was pregnant. He came around when I was about three, wanting a relationship. He promised to take me out to basketball games, carnivals, and parks but never showed up. My mother wanted to save me from all of those disappointments, so she severed all ties of communication.

It would have been nice to have my dad growing up. I probably wouldn't have ended up in prison. I just wanted a father who desired to be around me, not one who felt like he had to do it because it was an obligation.

Mom went on a couple of dates over the years, but never really found the one and I knew I played a significant role in it. She wanted a dude who would respect me.

"Hello. Welcome to West Side Village." The receptionist greeted me when I reached the facility.

"Thank you. How are you?"