Chapter 24

"I listen to you, baby
And I know the things you're going through
I try to understand
That's why I'm still with you, baby
(I'm still with you)
See, every day we're living
Is one thing that will always be unsure
That's why I need you, baby, pleading, baby
Please let our love endure."
Xscape "Understanding"

Dave

"Yo Dave!" I looked up from the search for my keys in my pocket to find the voice. I was standing in front of Dollarama and I just bought some aluminum foil for my air fryer. I love putting it inside the pan because it makes cleaning it so much easier when I'm done.

I glanced across the lot to see Ferg leaning against a black truck. I sucked my teeth and focused on fishing out my keys. I finally pulled them out and unlocked my car that was parked right in front of the store's entrance.

"Motherf*cker, I know you hear me! You thought you could take over what belonged to me, but you can never overthrow the real king in these streets." I haven't seen this n*gga in months and all of a sudden, he's trying to create a scene in public. I don't have time for him. Nothing connects us at this point. He should go his way like I've gone mine.

I backed up out of the lot and got on the road. Next thing I know, this dude pulled up next to me at the red light. He rolled down his window. From the corner of my eye, I saw his lips moving but I paid him no mind. I kept my eyes looking straight on the road and turned up the radio. I pressed the gas when the light turned green.

In the blink of an eye, I saw bullets flying into my car and shattering the windows. I felt one graze my shoulder as I tried to move out of the way. I accidentally turned into one of the poles which caused the car to swerve and flip a total of five times.

I went in and out of consciousness when all I wanted to do was grab onto my right leg that was in excruciating pain, but I didn't have the ability as I hung upside down in the car. All I could hear was sirens in the background as I passed out.

All of that happened four months ago, six months after Eva and I reconciled. I swear, I can never have sh*t. I'm been recording music and doing small performances at clubs trying to get my name out there. I've gathered a small following. Trying to heal has halted my studio time.

If I could put the paws on Ferg, I would but he's in a body bag after a shootout with the police. Karma is a b*tch. I'm just grateful I made it out alive.

Eva and I agreed that it would be best if she wasn't my physical therapist because I didn't want it to cause friction between us. The one I have now is getting on my f*cking nerves and I just want to choke his *ss out during every session.

"David."

"Huh?" I got out of my thoughts and saw Eva standing at my door with my crutches in hand. I looked around to see we were back home. "Oh."

"Let me help you."

"I got it. Just open the door." She pulled the door open wider and I slowly got up. She trailed closely behind me as I moved towards my condo. Eva let me inside and I made my way over to my bedroom. I miscalculated my seat on the bed, so I fell to the ground with my back against the bed frame.

"Sh*t!" My hands went immediately to the cast.

"Are you okay?" Eva rushed into the room.