vii

❝ Once you have experienced a direct connection to all that is, you will not want to live without it

❝ Once you have experienced a direct connection to all that is, you will not want to live without it. It truly feels like home. ❞

― Deborah King

"Start from the beginning, child."

"Grams," Bonnie repeated, "I am a demon," She spoke slowly.

"...Start from the beginning."

"I am a demon."

"Start from the very beginning?"

"Fine," Bonnie sighed, "My name was Zöe," Sheila mouthed the name to herself, "Zöe Hernandez...and I was human. When I was seventeen I went for a drive...the road was icy and slick...and I died."

"Did it...hurt?" Sheila asked worriedly.

"...Yes," Bonnie confessed, "It was...agony."

"I'm sorry..."

"Thank you," Bonnie hummed, "When my life ended I was condemned to Hell."

Sheila gasped, hands covering her mouth in horror.

"In Hell I was tortured for...a long time," Bonnie let out a bitter scoff, "Everything I was...was stripped away from me. I was a blank slate and my King," Her voice burned with hatred, "Molded me into his weapon...into whatever he wanted."

Sheila wanted to ask about this king of hers but had a sneaking suspicion that wouldn't be wise.

"Samael the Silvertongue I was called," Bonnie sounded almost wistful as she spoke, "I was the only demon of my kind, the Reaper. I could pass through dimensions with ease...and I would reap souls."

"You...killed people?" Sheila breathed out.

"And I liked it," Bonnie confessed.

"..." Sheila remained silent, staring at the girl she had raised with wide eyes.

"Hell...it warps and corrupts everything about who you once were. I remember, when I was human," Bonnie sighed, "I was compassionate and selfless...Hell made me apathetic and selfish. Everything good about me was ripped away."

"I'm sorry..."

"One day," Bonnie exhaled shakily, "I suppose my King had found he had no more use for me...the...the last thing I saw was him smiling...as he ripped me apart..."