xii.

❝ What is grief

❝ What is grief...if not love persevering? ❞

— Vision

"Why does it hurt so much?" Bonnie's voice was quiet and numb, eyes solemn.

"Because she was your grandmother," Stefan breathed, the duo sitting on the steps of Sheila's home, ambulance taking Sheila's body away, "Because you loved her."

"But I don't love people," Bonnie's voice cried, "I haven't loved someone in so long."

"It's okay to hurt," Stefan soothed, holding her to his chest, gently rubbing her arm, "It's okay..."

✕✕✕✕✕

That night after Stefan finally and hesitantly left, Bonnie found herself wandering through the wood. She found herself reaching the tomb or more accurately, reaching Ben's body.

Bonnie sighed and she scooped the corpse up in her arms. She carried his body through the woods, taking him to where they had their picnic date.

She conjured a blanket and lay him down on it before conjuring a shovel. Sure she could have just caved in the ground but she decided to do this manually.

After digging the grave, which only took about an hour, Bonnie picked up Ben and jumped down into the earth, laying him down.

She stared at him for a moment before pulling herself out of the grave. She turned her attention to the mound of dirt and, shovel in hand, began to fill in the grave.

About halfway through filling it in Bonnie began to shake, trembling as she was overwhelmed with emotion.

She released the shovel, the object falling to the floor. She curled in on herself falling to her knees letting out a cry of anguish, the scream echoing through the silence of the wood.

Her magic burst from her, crawling across the ground, blackening and killing everything it touched as Bonnie continued to mourn.

✕✕✕✕✕

"I don't..." Bonnie took a deep breath as she addressed the people gathered at her grandmother's funeral, "Funerals aren't for the dead," She spoke with a sigh, "They're for the living, this is our healing...I didn't prepare any words today because I know...the dead can't hear us."