mothers

It didn't take long for us to start out conversation again. We spoke about the schools response to the attacks, the funeral and everything else going on.
But we ended up circling back to what happened to him.

"Your mother loves you. The strigoi didn't find me even when they could smell me... she must have looked a lot... honestly I don't even remember where I had hid" suddenly I really wanted to see my mother.
She had her weakness as a mother, that hadn't changed but I was realising slowly since coming back to the academy that maybe she isn't the worse mother ever like I made her out to be.

"I wish I could go her now" I said, quietly, not sure of what I was saying.

"She's on campus..."

"Yea, maybe tomorrow" he nodded and didn't pressure me into it.

"Dimitri?" I asked

"Hmm?"

"What was your mom like?"

"She was kind and strong. What I think you would consider to be the ideal mother. She's kind of a leader in the community there but if you go her house her first priority will always be making sure you eat. A lot. She loves to cook, growing up some of my favorite times were her cooking for me" dimitri had the far away look people get when talking about a very different place and time. He obviously cherished his mother and though he would never admit it do to his workaholic nature he missed his home.

"Did you talk to her? After everything happened... even i wanted my mom"
He simply shook his head.

"Didn't get a chance to"

Suddenly I remembered how lonely dimitri was and made me think of how it must suck for him to not even talk to his family.
I had guessed it right when I talking to him after the guardian meeting about me not protecting Christian, he didn't go to others for help.

"You should call her" I said, pausing then continued "I can tell you miss her"

He seemed shocked a little at my suggestion.
"That's... yea I should"

"Actually, I think I can call her now, it's difficult to call because of my work schedule and the time difference usually not working out. But its 10 right now.. so it should be around 6 pm there"
I didn't know what go say. He would be calling his mom, do I get to listen? Do I get to talk to them? Do they even speak English?
A lot of questions went through my mind at once and some included the word mother-in-law but I only voiced one.

"Do I get to listen?"
Dimitri looked at me with a mixture of shock and surprise.
"You get to talk" and before I could say anything else or voice my many concerns and objections he had already called.