late night chats

As the phone rigned on dimitri stared at me with amusement.

"What?" I said, letting playful annoyance drip into my voice.

"You just came back from a historic strigoi battle that you didn't hesitate to go into but you are concerned about my mother" dimitri replied but before I could answer the phone which was on loudspeaker for picked up.

"Привет? это кто?" Said a child's voice. I tried to think of everything I knew about dimitri's family... honestly I didn't know much and I didn't understand Russian so all I could do is stare at dimitri as he spoke.
He said something to the child which made the big yell and soon a new person was on the phone.
It seemed to be a girl, the voice didn't seem to belong to someone old enough to give birth to dimitri. Actually it didn't even sound old enough to give birth to me.

Dimitri spoke to this girl for a bit but he seemed uncomfortable during the conversation. Weird.
I wanted to figure out what was going on but I knew I had greater luck at passing maths with a 100 then understanding Russian so I quietly listened.
The conversation went on for what seemed like a while but when it ended I realized it was actually been really short.
"What happened?" I asked him for the second time that night.

"Mama's out, the kid that picked iz my sisters son... he got startled and didn't know what to say" dimitri's accent had became thicker after the phone call but I didn't mention it. "When he heard it was me. I've never seen him." He added the last sentence with almost a after thought and I saw the homesickness that I only got small glimpses of in his eyes again.

"And the person you spoke to was Paul's mother? I mean your sister... what was her name?"

This made dimitri laugh, which shocked me since he laughed so little but then he got up and sat on the bed. I immediately sat up but he didn't mention it.

"Okay, so I have 3 sisters, my mother and my grandmother. My grandmother's name is yeva belikova. I've told you about her" he explained and some part of me thought about how would be like to have a whole family and the whole white picked fence shit that I always thought about as ideal.
I nodded along to let him know I was following and some distant part of me wondered if this was something like what normal couples talked about. Family, friends, people you care about...
And suddenly my heart ached to have that but I didn't let it show on my face because dimitri seemed so happy explain this to me. I didn't want to ruin his mood with that thought instead I tried to focus on this almost happy little date of ours.

"My mother is Olena Belikova. Then there's my sister's and I, the oldest is Karolina, she's Paul's mother." He pushed for a second and continued "she wanted kids" I saw in his eyes about what he meant. Life there was likely simpler, a life about family not the moroi. I nodded, we both knew we couldn't ever be like that, not even if we tried to, we cared about 9ur jobs too much.
"Then there's sonya, She's older then me too and apparently currently pregnant..." this had obviously been news he just found out so I just nodded again.
"And the there's me, your favourite" I couldn't help but laugh. God, I loved this, dimitri and I always had so much tension and physical connection but at the end of the day I loved him even without all that. I loved talking to him and hanging out with him and this conversation really made me think about how this feels like a date.

"That might chance, I can be bought with food and according to you, your mom cooks really well soo" now it was dimitri's turn to laugh and I couldn’t put into words how much I loved his laugh.

"Yes, of course. And then there's vik, or Viktoria She's the one that picked up the phone after paul. Apparently everyone is out expect them. She's on Easter holidays and she very happy told me how annoyed she was at being put at babysitting duty"
I listened fascinated as dimitri continued to talk about his family and his conversation that he just had.
Viktoria told him that she'd tell him mom to call him after they got back.
We spend a long time like that, talking and chatting and I felt like I was being spoiled being able to talk to dimitri that much.
However, at some point late into the night dimitri finally left me telling me that I should get some rest since I just woke up today and with that he left me.

No goodbye kiss but I didn't need one to feel like I had found heaven on earth.