the walk back

Dimitri offered to walk me back to the hospital seeing and probably knowing that I was about to start a huge fight with my mother.
He practically pushed me out of there as quickly as possible.
We walked around the corners of the academy grounds instead of going back to the hospital. He listened without much interest as I went on and on about how much of bitch I thought my mother was.

"Okay, say you are right" he finally said as I started to calm down and I realized he was thinking about what happened with jesse but I knew this was different. When I was upset because of the darkness even I knew I was being unreasonable but now this was different. This was pure rose hathaway rage, the one that was especially saved for my mother.

"I AM right!" I argued.

Dimitri gave me a slight push, not aggressive, just a calm down gesture.
"Rose"

"Yea... give me your zen life lesson go ahead" I replied, trying to control my mind that was racing off in a million different directions.

"I'm not giving you a zen life lesson. Honestly rose, I just found this out too" that made me stop. Mom had said that and I wasn't upset with dimitri... and now looking at him I saw what I had seen earlier, his tiredness and worry lines.

"I'm sorry.. honestly I'm not upset with you, it's just my mom and-"

"I know, relax," he ran his hands through his hair which was let down today. He didn't say anything for a little while and I took that opportunity to study him more. Seeing him made me feel the same that it always does. Love, admiration and whole lot more love. He looked so good.

"Stop staring" dimitri said, a slight smile back on his face.

I just grinned. Before, dimitri had always ignored me checking him out though he knew that I was checking him out and I knew that he knew. I was glad to see that there was a difference now.

"Make me"

"Back to the topic, you should consider that it's good that the Princess is getting more protection"

"I did consider that and I want it to be anyone but my mother." I huffed knowing full well I sounded childish.

"She did say it's temporary and it the talks right now. That's why I didn't know" dimitri tried again obviously trying to reason it out.

"But- she said might! Did you conveniently forget that part" I replied back with more huffing. Then dimitri stiffened and I felt really stupid. I would be a guardian soon and I should have noticed the other two guardians approaching but I had been so focused on being upset that I hadn't paid attention to my surroundings and from a quick glace at dimitri I could tell dimitri noted that. Aguh having your secret not boyfriend also being your instructor sucks.

The guardians were yori and someone I didn't recognise, they were walking and chatting and came to a stop when they came near us.

"Guardian belikov" Yori greeted.

"Rose" dimitri nodded and I said "hi"

"What are you doing here, don't tell me those kids are back at it again!" It took me a second to figure out what he ment, I had explained what happened with the ward to dimitri and he had apparently given the idea over to the guardians and explained and credited me.

"No, I don't think they would do that"

"Not like it matters, they didn't get in any trouble" I muttered.

"Rose" dimitri said, obviously annoyed now.
I didn't think he would be so open around Yori but apparently so.

"She's not wrong but you learn quickly that royals get away with a lot" the lady with Yori finally said. I decided I liked her and smiled.

"See" I told dimitri who seemed close to done with me.

"Yes but that doesn't mean you shouldn't control what your saying" Yori said, giving dimitri an amused but relaxed smile.

"hey, I am perfectly controlled"

"Controlled by impulses" Yori countered. I had began to notice that the guardians were all being a lot more free with me after the battle and it made me feel like I was a part of that group now.
"Anyways, belikov, I'm glad I found you here, can I have the keys back, we're done for the day"
Dimitri nodded and taking out the keys he had given me when I snuck out and handing it to yori.

I was still looking at the girl, she was pretty but almost moroi like, skinny and pale and quite tall for a girl.

"Are you one of the new guardians?"

She smiled at me "no, I'm just temporary, passing by if you will. I was off and thought I would come help till the required amount of people come"

"Cool" 

"I'm ellen, ellen wood"

"Nice to meet you! I'm rose, rose hathaway!"

"I know, your kind of famous" she said laughing and when I didn't she stopped.

"What? You did really good on the battle rose, there was a discussion in court about all that. A lot of people are talking you know"

"Oo"

Yori turned to me laughing "don't give her a bigger head, she's difficult enough to deal with."

"Really?" She asked now amused.

"Yes, rose doesn't really know the word listening, well not if your guardian belikov, I don't know how you manage"

Dimitri chuckled making me even more upset.

"Oh come onn, you guys are so mean, I'm not that bad." I knew they were joking so I took it in good spirit.

"No, just a little bad. Now come on, I should get you to the hospital" dimitri said still reserved but I was glad to see that he wasn't as lonely as I thought he was.

After we got a little further away dimitri turned on me.
"What?" I asked bumping into him.

"You never gave the stake that I gave you"

Oh boy.

"I actually forgot"

"No you didn't"

"Yes, I did"

"No. You didn't"

"I swear dimitri... I-i- uh I swear on... on
.. you?"

This made him pause "don't do that"

"Okay, one conversation at a time, first the stake.Go"
It was almost like our lessons when he would give me the topic and I'd give off all the facts.

"There was a lot going on and I forgot. I gave you the keys when I sneaked off before, right? I wouldn't keep them, it wouldn't be much help, not like I can walk around using it or something... no one asked for it back so I have it." I explained.

"And simply giving it back never crossed your mind?"

"No..." I said, dimitri was making me mad now.

"Honestly, is it not enough that I already killed all those strigoi?! What does it matter, what does any of the rest of this school year matter? I know it isn't going to help much with the future!" I knew dimitri had some similar views as mine when it came to the education system but that didn't matter right now.

"You can learn some respect is what" dimitri fired back making me stop in my rage filled tracks.

"Keep it but I better now see or hear anything about it" he finally said after some silent walking.

"Now, as for your mother... "