Chapter Eight

The next day goes by slower than I thought it would. I spend the day with my parents and try to deal with everything that happened last night. For some reason I'm comfortable with avoiding my friends for the day.

I didn't want to be around Sarah and Rafe for sure. It's an absolute delight to see Sarah, Kie and Topper in my driveway as my parents and I get home. "Oh you've got company." My dad says and I groan. We head up to my room and I take a seat on my bed.

Sarah has her arms crossed and she looks pissed. Topper and Kie look extremely apologetic. "Look the reason we came here is because you are our friend and we want to warn you about something, someone." Sarah says trying to be casual but I can tell she's really riled up. "Okay," I say casually.

"It's Rafe. He's an absolute asshole and he got into so much trouble last night when I told dad," Sarah begins. "Wait you told Ward? About Rafe's coke?" I say in disbelief. "Well yeah, what else was I gonna do?" She shrugs as if it was the most obvious thing.

I hated when Sarah constantly tattle-told on people. We've always made jokes about how she's always the one who never keeps secrets and the last person you should gossip to. I knew Rafe's problem with coke was serious but it felt very fifth grade of Sarah to run and tell Ward.

"Sarah you can't do that!" I say raising my voice lightly. "Yes I can!" She screams back. "Okay okay. Let's take it down a notch." Topper says slowly. "Well what did Ward do?" I ask more calmly.

"Nothing! It's not like he doesn't know Rafe's a loose end anyway." She mocks and I roll my eyes. "Okay what is the point you came here to get across?" I ask her. "The point is-" Kie steps in. "The point is Rafe is not good for anyone. And he's completely off the rails since he got back." Sarah interrupts her.

"Look Sarah, don't you think the problem is John B taking coke from Rafe?" I tell her and she opens her mouth wide. "It is not John B's fault." She screams. "It kinda is Sarah." Topper says slowly. "Look I took coke from Rafe at the rager." Topper beings. "Topper!" Kie and Sarah both scream. "And I won't again..." He says slowly.

"I'm just pointing out that no one shoved it... up my nose for me," Topper says struggling to find the proper words. "John B had his own choice to make," Kie says supporting Topper. Sarah scoffs and rolls her eyes.

"Look let's all just calm down and agree that a coke free summer is in everyone's best interest right now." Topper says and Kie nods. I nod back too. "Are we okay?" Topper asks us. I nod slowly.

"We're fine. As long as you know Rafe isn't what's good for you." Sarah tells me. I didn't know how to feel about the ultimatum Sarah was giving me. She and Rafe have always been at each other's throats. But I always thought they'd have each other's back at the end of the day. I guess I was wrong.

I knew Sarah was so mad at John B and she wanted to blame Rafe for everything instead. But it didn't feel right for her to try to put me off him because of it. Kie and Sarah leave a little bit later. I try to talk to Topper about things and it leaves me feeling a bit better. "So are you gonna talk to him?" He asks me. I groan lightly.

"I don't know, it's not like Sarah is giving me a choice." I say. "Honestly Sarah and Rafe need to get it together for the rest of the group. I'm sick of their fucking fighting." He says and I nod. Just then my phone goes off. My heart does a flip when it's a text from Rafe. "Can I see you tonight?"

"Rafe just texted me." I tell Topper. "Oh no." Topper groans. I show him the message and he acts like he's processing the whole world right now. "Are you gonna go?" He asks. "I don't know." I tell him, as I text Rafe saying "yeah sure."