Chapter Nine

I meet with everyone except Rafe the next day at John B's. After a ton of talking we all come to the collective conclusion that all the drama needed for summer has already taken place, we'd have nothing but peace from here on.

         We decide that Rafe and I are history, Pope has forgiven JJ, everyone is free to do coke as they wish, whilst keeping in mind that it's an extreme risk to take and we already have more than enough fun without it.

          We have a chill BBQ at John B's and I feel so relieved to be past everything. I feel weirdly at peace with the whole Rafe situation, I knew I was way out of my league.

           I appreciate that no one invites Rafe so I can have a day to process things, but I immediately feel bad for not including him and Kelce asks him to come by. He says he's busy for the rest of the day, I'm just glad we asked.

          Topper takes me home after the BBQ and I go right to bed. It's around 3.30 in the morning when I get a call. From none other than Rafe. I contemplate answering, thinking it was probably a booty call.

            I ignore the call and try to sleep again. My phone rings for the second time and then the third. I groan and answer it. "Ev," I hear Rafe's voice on the phone. He sounds extremely different and panicked as hell.

           "Rafe?" I say back. "It's me, it's me. Uh I need to see you right now." He says sounding frantic on the phone. "Rafe it's 3am" I tell him. "Please." He says back. What was I gonna do? "Evelyn I'm outside your house." He tells me.

        Alarms go off in my head as I jump off my bed and take a look out of my window. Sure enough, Rafe's jeep is parked in my driveway. My parents might kill me if I was having a boy over at this time.

        "Rafe what are you doing here?" I ask him on the phone. "Can you please come down here?" He asks me. My heart is beating way too fast for me to even think. I throw my phone on my bed and carefully creep down the stairs.

        I unlock the front door and race over to his jeep. It's rained during the night and my feet feel so cold against the wet road. I race up to the drivers side and open the door. I'm met with a horrible looking Rafe.

        He looks like absolute shit. I notice a bloody gash on his forehead, he's sweating a ton and his clothes look weirdly dirty. His hands are bruised up and I know he's either drunk or coked up right now.

         "Rafe what the fuck happened?" I say as I reach out and hold his face in my hands. He looks at me and smiles lightly. "I was with the boys and uh-" He starts slurring. "I did way too much coke." He explains and my heart sinks.

           "I slipped on the driveway and then just drove all the way here." He tells me. It scares me how unfit he is to drive right now. I begin to freeze outside, it doesn't help that the only thing I'm wearing is a tee. The same one Topper gave me on the night of the rage.

       "Okay we need to get you cleaned up," I tell him and he nods lightly. "You have to be quiet." I tell him and he laughs. "I'll try baby," He tells me.

        The way he says baby leaves me floating. I hated the effect he had over me and how anything he said could literally have me on my toes. I put his arm around me and we walk towards my house. It feels like the walk of a lifetime because Rafe is so heavy and faded.

         Getting him into the house was another deal, I sit him down on the armrest of the couch and rush to get a bottle of water and some ice. Placing those under my arm we slowly tackle the stairs together. It literally takes us ten minutes to get up there.