Chapter Seventeen

A gush of wind sends my skirt flying up a bit, I place my hands on my lap, holding my skirt down. It was such a windy day today.

       I was at at the Country Club. It was Sunday afternoon, my family and Topper's were having lunch.

       Our families had been close friends for years, our dads went to school in the obx together.

       The main reason Topper and I were this close was because we were both the only child in the family and didn't have anyone else to play with growing up.

       "So tell us about how this Summer's been for you guys." Mrs Thornton say while sipping her glass of wine. She directs this question towards Topper and I and we both swallow hard.

      Topper laughs to break the tension when everyone at the table is just staring at us waiting for a response.

        "It's been great, quite boring, uneventful actually." He says and I laugh.

         "We're just excited to be out of school for a while." I add on. "It's your last relaxed Summer, next year you both will be picking through the Ivy Leagues." My dad says and our moms agree.

       They begin talking about alumni colleges and I zone out. It was a week since all the "event fullness" took place.

        I felt oddly calmer about the situation. "Top you keep saying you're going to take all your friends out to HawksNest, but you never do!" Mr Thornton complains.

         "Yeah dad, we're just really busy this Summer." Topper says sounding annoying. "I think a trip to HawksNest would be ideal! You kids should get out of obx." My mom says.

       "Remember how much fun you guys would have there when you were little," Mrs Thornton says while she reminisces over some memories. I smile at Topper.

         She tells the story about how Topper was too scared to swim with dolphins and cried so much his eyes swelled up for three days.

          Eventually the lunch is over, Tops and I head to the bottom deck where our friends were.

        "Finally done lunching?" JJ remarks as we take a seat. "God that was longer than usual," Topper groans as he sits down.

        I walk over to Rafe and take a seat on his lap. He wraps his arms around me and kisses my neck lightly.

       JJ passes Rafe a blunt and he smokes it, blowing it away from my face. He squeezes my waist lightly and I smile.

        "You know we should take the trip up to HawksNest." I tell Topper. "HawksNest?" Sarah says.

         "I haven't been there since last Summer when we-" She begins saying to Topper and then stops. John B looks irritated. "Nevermind." Sarah whispers.

       John B and Sarah weren't exactly on good terms yet. No one in the group was on the best terms at the moment.

      But I think everything that happened at West Coast had bonded us way more, we couldn't exactly walk away from each other anymore.

        JJ and Pope still weren't talking to Kie. "You know a trip together might just be the solution," Kelce says carefully and I agree.

          "If you guys want to," Topper mutters. "I think it'll be good." I say. "I'll tell dad." Topper replies.

         "I just think lunch and dinner all on the same day is too much, our parents need other friends." Topper groans and I laugh.

        We were both in my room, practically hiding from our parents downstairs. They'd decided to sail on the boat after lunch and now they were all day drunk and eating dinner downstairs.