16

THE LIGHTHOUSE

The cicadas  were going off by the disturbance of the fire and the 5 teenagers sitting around it.

Kiara and Lexie sat together, Lexie and JJ kept making eye contact from across the fire, he would smirk when he caught her looking, as she would blush and look away. Neither of the two knew why their feelings for each other had changed. 

 2 weeks ago they hated each other, now they were friends, but with mixed feelings.

"Hey so guys, like my dad's already gonna kill me so what's this mandatory meeting about?" Pope said anxiously.

"Oh before you go into anything, can i quickly just say something" They all nodded. "so when i was arrested today -" 

"You were arrested!!" John B cut her off, "yes, doesn't matter though, i'll explain later" she said before continuing.

"Anyway, Peterkin pulled me into her office and - she showed me pictures of the square groupers" Their heads popped up, "They were dead, someone had murdered them, gaffed them and used them as chum, and she believes that whoever murdered them are looking for you" She turned her head to john b. "She also wants to speak to you"

"fuck" john b whispered, "anyway, what's up with you, where have you been?" Lexie asked the boy. 

John B shared a look with JJ, "might as well tell them man before we're gaffed" JJ said, turning his gaze back to the fire. 

"you ready for this?" John B asked, "yeah!" Kie said

"the gold never went down with the Royal Merchant" john b said smiling. 

Lexie stood up to get closer to the fire, Kie followed her action. "oh my god, here we go again with this" Pope said, Lexie gave him a look. 

"No, alright, wait, hear him out all right?" JJ said persuading Pope. 

John B was still smiling, "It's been here the whole time, it's on the island" He said looking at Kie.

"are you serious?" the girl said, "oh my god" she smiled, Lexie now grinning widely.

"I'd like to voice my skepticism" pope said, not budging, "I'm sure you would Pope, but can i please present you with my evidence sir?" john b standing up, Lexie held back a laugh.

"proceed" Pope waved him off. 

"all right so! in my backpack, i have a letter from Denmark Tanny" he said proudly. 

"who is Denmark Tanny?" Lexie questioned, "Denmark Tanny was a slave that survived the Royal Merchant wreck, check this out" He said, the teenagers gathered around to look at some paper he had pulled out. 

"what?" Kie questioned, "slaved weren't mentioned as crew members on the ship, but my dad, he found the complete manifest, that was his big discovery, So Tanny, used the gold from the Merchant to buy his freedom, after that, he bought his farm, drum roll please" The boy said smiling. 

"because that farm is.. Tannyhill plantation" 

"Tannyhill?" Kie said, "yeah, so after that he used his money to free even more slaves and then he sold a shit-ton of rice, which pisses off all the white planters and then, they decide to lynch him, so on the day they were coming to get him, he writes a letter to his son, as a farewell and in the last line of that letter, he leaves a coded message about where to find the gold" 

The group shared excited looks around, Lexie bite her lip, trying to contain her excitement, "where?" she whispered.

"harvest the wheat in parcel nine, near the water. expect there is no wheat" John B said.