5. Gym

I was dressed in my workout gear, a black long sleeve top and shorts.

Black was slimming, right?

I run quite a lot in the mornings, but due to the upcoming event, I was feeling more self-conscious than usual.

Liz had been so excited about getting ready together, and I just wanted to look as good as she would. I haven't even got a dress yet, already dreading the shopping experience.

My mother and shopping was a total nightmare. I despise shopping. I don't know what looks good, and nothing feels comfortable with the weird lightning and mirrors.

But though she was just being honest, even if I visibly felt good about an outfit she would find a way to ruin it.

"The colour doesn't work with your skin tone!"

"Your hips are too wide to pull that off."

"An actual waist would help you look good in that."

It was always my fault and never the clothes.

I open the gym doors, taking in the atmosphere. Workout equipment was scattered around the large open plan area, occupied with only a few people.

It was quiet except for the low rock music playing and punches from the boxing bag.

Suddenly, I hear someone yell "Hey, pretty girl."

I smile, knowing the voice of the man who likes to say this at work as well, as he knows it flusters me.

Ronnie jogs up to me, glistening with sweat from what I'm guessing was a tough workout.

He asks what I'm doing there, to which I reply "I'm here to knit some sweaters." He laughs a bit too hard at my sarcastic remark.

Before I could question him, Cassius walks out of the locker room with a booming voice, "Ron, can you shut up and tell me where the hell did you put my goddamn b-"

He spots me and instantly stops his verbal attack on Ronnie and looks sheepish.

I can't help looking at his shirtless body. I have never gone red in my life, but I think this is the closest I ever come close to doing so.

I knew he was well built, but... Wow.

I quickly look away, while Ronnie laughs, at who I'm not sure. Ronnie reaches from behind him and throws Cassius a bag, to which he returns a scowl and heads back to the locker room.

Ronnie winks at me and walks away, laughing even harder.

I turned to the punching bags, and realised it had been a while since I boxed. I used to enjoy it till mother made me quit.

I was getting too bulky, apparently.

I put my headphones in and get into proper form. I throw a punch at my unwillingness to stand up to my mother, my father. My inability to accept that I'm hard to get along with.

Bam!

Bam!

After a while, I realised I was punching for longer than expected and took my headphones out with a huff, feeling my body on fire.

"That was quite impressive, Alettra." Cassius says to me from behind, leaning on the wall. I look at his now clothed body and eye him. I wonder how long he was standing there.

"Do you box? Your form is decent," he comments and I reply that my mother enrolled me in classes when I was younger due to my anger problems, with a laugh.