18. Weddings

I tell him to wait in the living room as I get ready. Men were lucky, Cass was already wearing his suit from work so he was fine but me...

Bangles, heels, saris, jewelry and make up all taunting me at my inability to pick. I'm already regretting my decision of saying yes.

I'm in the mirror staring at my gold and red sari and trying to clasp the stupid necklace. I huff and call out for Cassius.

"Yea Alett-", from the mirror I can see Cassius' eyes trailing down my body, like he did at the gala but he suddenly shakes his head and walks behind me.

We both stare at eachother in the mirror and he leans down to my ear, "You look divine, Alettra Reddy." Shy, I look away and hold out the necklace silently asking him to help.

I can feel his fingers skim my neck slightly and cause goosebumps rise all over my body, he leans closer, his breath hitting my neck making my lean into his touch. Just before I can say something he places a sweet kiss on my neck and glazes at me in the mirror.

He says earnestly, "You're absolutely enchanting, baby."

I might explode in a moment.

But then I frown, my mind drifting back to his cold attitude at the gala. Sensing my change in mood, Cass wraps his arms around me, "You have enchanted me since the very day I met you Alettra."

I sigh softly and turn around telling him it's time to leave, ruining the romantic atmosphere completely.

It was scaring me how much I hated my reflection yet the way he looked at me in amazement made me feel like the most beautiful girl in the world. It made me confused.

We arrive at the wedding hall, to see a massive crowd, colourful bunting and loud drums. Cassius' mouth is wide open making me laugh. It was a lot yes, but Indian's love a party.

I grab his hand and talk to a few people I like, cousins and such. They all stare up at Cassius in awe. He really stood out...

But in the best way possible.

A few cousins wink at me in passing making me roll my eyes. At times I can't help but lean into Cassius for comfort as large crowds don't really sit well with me.

I help Karina, the bride, with what needs to be done and she turns to Cass and I and asks "So, you two dating then?"

Before I can reply Cassius beats me with a simple but firm yes making me smile.

Now while I said I liked Karina, her mother was a different story.

"Alettra, nice of you to mak-, oh and whose this?", my Aunt asks.

I reply proudly "My boyfirend, Cassius", but my Aunt frowns and asks whether my mother knows about my so called boyfriend in Hindi so Cass doesn't hear. I hate when people do that, it's just plain rude.

Cassius quickly whispers in my ear that he's going to go find the toilets and leaves. I glare at her silently telling her to change the subject. Sadly she does.

"Well nevermind, so Alettra you look better now, you use to be so skinny, better with some meat on your bones I say." Oh these comments, the feeling of disappointment hits me like a riptide.

Was I not skinny anymore?

Dear God, please let thunder hit me so this can be over.

I answer as politely as possible, "Yes Aunt, I um joined a gym now so I-" She cuts me off "Ah yes I remember the that time you fainted at the gym and the ambulance had to come."

Karina, noticing my discomfort, leads her mother elsewhere to help her with the greeting of people.

As I'm deep in thought hating myself for wishing to look different... Cassius grabs my hand and flashes me a smile.

Yeah. There was no way I was going to get through this wedding without strangling someone unless he was here.

We dance and laugh for a bit, him spinning me around a lot and holding me close. For a while, a just laid my head on his chest letting his heartbeat drown out the noise, that was my new favourite sound.

As Cass and I sit at our table holding hands and him asking me questions about Indian weddings, my mother just silently sits opposite me glaring at us.

Well then... "Hi mum", I say unsure.

"Who's this Alettra?", I square my shoulders and reply even through I'm sure my Aunt's gossiping has already reached her ears, "My boyfriend Cassius Ardent. Cassius Ardent met my mother Nina Reddy." They shake hands quickly before silence entraps us again.

This cannot get more awkward.

Then my father sits down. I was wrong, this has offically just gotten more awkward.

My father frowns at Cassius, but Cass quickly works it and introduces himself this time, "Hello Mr Reddy, my name is Cassius Ardent, I'm dating your daughter."

My father simply looks at me and nods before leaving with his phone to his ear. Surprisingly, I'm actually happy he silently left quickly but now I can feel the icy daggers my mother is shooting me.

"So Cassius, what do you do for a living?", she queries.

Before I can tell him not to answer that he replys "I run my own security firm, Mrs Reddy."

"Oh so did you and Alettra met after her little incident?"

I freeze, is she alluding to the night at the gala as a 'little incident.'

I question her quickly "What incident mother."

She scowls at me, "You know the one were you got yourself drugged and didn't tell me till days later."

Before I could answer, Cass beats me to it, "Miss Reddy the drug used on your daughter was highly sophicated and would be hard to spot, and she was brutally attacked by two men and almost raped... No one would call that a little incident."

I have slight tears in my eyes but hold them in, I've never had someone in my corner. My smile deepens when I hear my mother's silence. Cassius really stunned her.

But suddenly a plate of food is placed in front of me, making my smile drop. I thank the waiter but just stare at the food. Cassius eats beside me and I can't help but think of my Aunt's comments.

My mother looks at me expectly so I take a small bite making her roll her eyes and leave.

I turn to see Cassius' eyes on me, making me lift my eyebrows.

But when he says "Don't you want to eat more?", making me angry.

No no I don't want to eat more for God's sake. Why can't people just leave me alone.

"Actually Cass, I think we should get going now." He just nods stiffly as we leave, saying goodbye to the bride and groom.

We drive home in silence and as I say goodbye to him he holds me hand gently, and stares deeply into my eyes, silently imploring me to open up, about what I don't know... My mother maybe.

"You don't have to keep secrets from me Alettra, you know that right."

I nod but point out that my mother's behaviour was no secret slightly laughing but he just gets slightly angry.

"Not that secret Alettra", he whispers sadly in his deep voice.

Angry and confused, I turn to him and question him, "What about your secret, Cass... Why were you injured the other day?... Or why did you turn away from me at the gala so coldly?"

I look at his head hanging low and just leave, the tension getting to much for me and run into my apartment, sobbing.

Why did I do that?

Why would I run?

We both couldn't be honest with ourselves so how could we ever be honest with eachother.

_____________________

Thank you for reading.