33. Three Months Later

Cassius' POV

Life without Alettra quickly becomes very mundane, but not in a bad way. It was as if I was pacing myself, allowing myself to process things more clearly.

I work overtime sometimes, and I read often, wondering how Alettra would react to certain things in books. Remembering the cute expressions she would make are still engraved in my mind. The library quickly became my favourite place again.

I started therapy a week after Alettra had left, keeping my promise. Dr Simmons was a prestigious PTSD therapist, I was lucky to see him. He's helped me a lot in the past four months. I will admit I was quite apprehensive at first, not fully opening up, but I cracked after the questions about Cyrus. How much I miss him, wished he was still around.

We even talked about Alettra, how we both needed to be strong enough individually in order to be able to support each other. How the distance, through making my feelings stronger for her, was necessary.

I don't regret not going to the airport to see her off. I know I would have picked her up and carried her back home without a second thought, not letting her leave.

I knew I couldn't though, mostly because that's something known as kidnapping. As well as that, this was good for not only her, but also me. So, maybe one day it would be good for us.

I try to distance myself from her, but Liz and Ronnie always find a way of adding her to our conversations. I play it off as I'm not bothered, but I always look forward to hearing how she's doing in Greece.

I didn't think I was able to love her more, but I do. She was my soulmate.

Liz speaks to her often, and sends me videos of Alettra giving speeches as a Head Curator at the museum in Greece. She was positively shining, the confidence radiated off her, and a genuine smile was always on her face.

Liz also told me Alettra had made quite a few friends, and was learning the language quickly, being able to hold a whole conversation with Andreas in Greek. I was jealous of Liz and Andreas, as well as all of Greece. I wanted nothing more than to talk with her, hear her say my name, but knowing she was thriving was also enough.

Jenny has also tried to talk me into going to my parents and Cyrus' grave, but I don't think I'm ready yet. One day I will, but not right now. My nightmares are better though, much better actually, causing my days to also be better now as well, now that I'm more well rested.

Victor got charged with a life sentence for first degree murder of Cyrus and others, the day it happened, it felt liberating. He finally paid for what he did. It still hurts to think about Cyrus, but understanding that even despite my cruel words to him, he wanted to leave the gang and try to get sober with my help, meaning he still saw me as his brother, meant a lot. I was proud to be his protector.

He was just in too deep with the wrong crowd.

While at work, looking over the logistics of a security plan of the next job, I get an international phone call. Confused, I pick it up only to be met with a thick Greek accent.

"Hello, is this Mr Ardent, I'm calling on behalf of a patient um... Alettra Reddy."

My whole body goes rigid with terror. What's happened to my baby?

"Yes, this is he," I answer back, trying to keep my fear out of my voice. "Miss Reddy collapsed while at work and you were put down as her emergency contact."

"Collapsed, is-is she okay?", I hear some shuffling and hear practically the best sound ever. Her soft, peaceful, soothing voice travels to my ears. "H-hello Cassius, um sorry about this. It turns out that my emergency contact hadn't changed since the last time I was in hospital so they called you. I'm sorry if I disturbed you." Her words put me in a trance like state. Like an ethereal goddess commanding me, I just admire her words for a second, until reality hits me.

"Forget that Alettra, what's this about you fainting? Are you okay?" She lets out an embarrassed chuckle, causing me to pray for my heart to be still and stop beating like it's at the verge of having a heart attack. "It was just my blood pressure Sweet- I mean Cass, my doctor told me it's actually a good sign. I'm eating more, something my body isn't used to, so it just sort out shut down for a bit." I let out a sigh, out of both relief but still fear. My mouth also quirks upwards, realising she slipped up and called me by my nickname.

Sweetheart. Her Sweetheart.

"Cass, I'm okay. Everything is going to be okay." I stay silent, unsure of what to say. Alettra's firm voice commands me to, "Say it back."

"Everything is going to be okay, Alettra." She laughs a little, and quickly tells me that she has to get off the phone because the nurse is giving her a dirty look, making me laugh. It was a short conversation, but I'll take what I can get.

I missed her so much, but rather than hearing her voice and me turning insane, I am actually more calm than ever.

In two month, she will be back. I know my feelings towards her haven't changed, but rather grown. She was an amazing woman, it would be an honour to be able to be with her. The fear that she could have found someone else gets alleviated quickly as the words she said to me repeat in my head like a mantra, a beacon of hope.

Everything will be okay.

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃