8. Grand Opening

Trigger Warning: violence, drugging and sexual assault
_________________________

Tonight is the night both awaited but also most dreaded. Liz, of course, floats around her house getting ready, unaware of the turmoil going on in my head... And stomach, come to think of it. Just before I could start to create an excuse in my head as to why I was backing out of the gala, Liz steps out of her closet in her gorgeous dress with the brightest smile.

Her magnificent brown eyes are highlighted dramatically by her emerald green dress, as well as her makeup enhancing her beauty even more so.

She looks enchanting.

Before I can even say anything, she grabs me by the arm and throws into her walk-in closet, slamming the door behind her, making me jump.

It's just me and the dress now, I guess. I begrudgingly put it on and turn to the mirror and look at my reflection, my heart pounding in fear.

It's stunning. The almost midnight blue shimmers slightly due to the satin. And the slit up the leg is daring but classy...

It actually fits well even a little baggy on the waist... But then I look at my face.

My dark under eye circles, my grey like skin tone and cracked lips. I look lifeless and tried. Maybe it was the cold finally getting to me. But I knew Liz would be able to work wonders with her makeup skills and at least the dress fit, right?

I put on the shiny diamond princess necklace and watch it sparkle.

If only I could sparkle like that, instead I'm ridiculously dull in pretence, appearance and personality.

I step out and she lets out a gasp.

"You look wonderful Alettra, I swear to God Cassius is gonna have trouble keeping his eyes off you."

Though I give the cheeky response that he better keep his eyes off me and on ensuring the gala is safe, I can't help but hope he notices.

She sits me down and does my hair and makeup, and after about an hour, my long hair is curled and my natural looking makeup is done.

Liz is a goddamn miracle worker.

We head together to the museum ready for a long night of of mingling. I'm regretting this already.

We enter and the hall is filled with a plethora of sophisticated people, many who are accredited archaeologists, writers and so on. It's incredibly intimidating. Liz and I socialise with others for a while till we bump into Dr Dumas whose jaw is practically unhinged when he sees Liz.

I can't blame him.

They look at each other shyly until I speak up feeling brazen, "Oh would you look at that you two match, what I confidence." Liz, of course, elbows me for ruining their moment, making me almost spill my drink, but she smiles nonetheless.

Dr Dumas also snaps out of his haze and blushes deeply before complimenting both of us and thanks us for our help in the exhibition. He then holds out his hand for Liz and asks her to join him in the gardens.

She looks at me, silently asking if I was going to be okay on my own. Of course, I nod. My ship was finally sailing.

As they leave I smile at them. They both deserved happiness, and I was lucky enough to witness both of them get it.

I straighten my shoulders with some newly found confidence. I weave through the crowd socialising with at least ten people. Ten people is a lot, or at least definitely felt like a lot, to me at least anyway.