36. Helping Liz

Cassius' POV:

The ride to the hospital was filled with Liz's screams emitting from Alettra's phone. Her screams sound like something from a horror. Wait, is this what Alettra is going to go through as well? My head is jumbled from Alettra's announcement, it seems both of us have forgotten about our situation, focusing on Liz.

As we run to the maternity ward, we run to Liz's room, to see her sweating and screaming in pain. Alettra runs to her and strokes her blonde wet hair, whispering softly encouragement. Liz grabs me by my collar, gritting her teeth, bringing me just inches from her face. "WHERE IS THAT BASTARD THAT DID THIS TO ME? ARGHHH." She finishes with a scream as another contraction hits her.

She tightly holds Alettra's hand, and squeezes her hand, leading to Alettra to bite her lip in pain. I quickly move Alettra to the side and grab Liz's hand instead, not wanting Alettra to be in pain. Looking at the state of Liz, Alettra will have her time of experiencing the pain of childbirth she doesn't need now. "Liz, listen to me, Andreas told me his train had a malfunction and stopped, but he will on his OH SHI-" I finish in pain as my screams mix with Liz's. How was Alettra holding her hand, it feels like she's breaking every bone in my hand. Alettra gives some ice chips to a tired Liz, helping keep her hydrated.

Suddenly, Andreas bursts through the door, looking dishevelled and worried. He goes to open his mouth only to be cut off by Liz's cursing hurled at him for being late. The doctors tell me and Alettra to wait outside, to allow Andreas to take over.

Alettra sits down looking wide eyed, she mostly is shocked at the glimpse she got at what she's going to go through in four months. I know I am. I pace around worried for Liz, I hope she will be okay. Unable to take the silence, I break it. "Why did you hide it from me?" Alettra's head snaps me and she softly smiles. At this moment, I take a good look to really appreciate how beautiful she looks. There's a youthful glow to her now, she doesn't seem as tired anymore. Her brown honey like eyes shining with wonder and warmth. She's always been beautiful, but right now she is stunning. "I was scared, Cass."

I frown, why would she be scared of telling me, I wouldn't have reacted badly. As if reading my thoughts she continues, "I-I - there was a high chance I could miscarriage or even um..." She leans closer to me and whispers it, highlighting her fears. "S-stillborn and I didn't want to get our hopes up that..." She finishes off breaking into tears as she buries her face in her hands. I quickly gather her in my arms as she breaks down, her body shaking violently. I try to calm her down, kissing her forehead sweetly and rocking her.

She calms down but still clings to me. So, this woman spent five months trying to learn a new tougher job, improve her eating disorder and carry a baby. All the odds were against her, but she made it, stronger than before. It was clear to see the pressure of everything was getting to her, the overwhelming fear that she could potentially lose-, I don't even want to say it. The fear hits me too, I look down at her stomach worrying slightly. Shouldn't she be bigger for five months?

She pulls something out of her pocket and it's a sonogram. A picture of our baby. She hands it to me, and I frown confused. She laughs quietly, and I admit I don't know what I'm looking at. She shifts closer to me and points out everything to me. It's amazing, that's inside of her right now. I helped create that. "So, I have another scan in two days, I was wondering if you wanted to com-" I interrupted her due to my enthusiasm, "I want to be there." We both just smile at each other, enjoying the moment.

Andreas runs out dressed in scrubs with a bewildered look on his face. "We have a baby boy." His eyes glisten with unshed tears and a smile etched on his face. Me and Alettra congratulate him and ask to see Liz and their new baby. When he agrees, we rush into her room.

It's as if the screams of pain never happened, from the look on Liz's face. She looks down at her son in her arms, and smiles softly looking at him with nothing but adoration. It's a very peace scene. Alettra's mouth drops open as she stares at amazement at the new arrival sleeping peacefully. "He's beautiful, Liz", I say earnestly. Liz smiles at us both and stops to look at Alettra's stomach. She whispers, "Oh my God, you're pregnant." Alettra's eyes widen.

How the hell does she know? Alettra looks down shyly, but nods, briefly looking at me. Liz beams ranting on how our baby will be best friends with hers. I smile slightly at the scenario I wish would occur. Liz asks whether Alettra wants to hold Nicholas. The baby's name suits him, strong like him. Alettra hesitantly nods and they move Nicholas into her arms, he moves slightly making Alettra pout. She rocks him slightly, and he settles down making Alettra smile.

She looks... Good with a baby in her arms. It suits her. Alettra's eyes widen as when Nicholas' eyes open slowly, revealing a pair of green eyes similar to Liz's. He looks at both me and Alettra, and smiles. God, my heart is beating so fast. I go to grab his little fist shaking at us but he wraps his hand around my much larger finger, making Alettra laugh. I didn't ever think I could do parenting, but doing it with Alettra by my side feels right.

We both have changed so much, for the better. I can't wait for this new step with her, a new part of life. With a new life. Our baby.

I couldn't wait.

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃