Chapter 5

I was so cold from the breeze lashing at my skin, but I had to keep running. As I was running, I could hear my rough breathing and footsteps behind me. I began to run faster, panic racing through my bloodstream, when I heard a howl resonate through the night. At the sound of this the panic seemed to spread throughout my whole body stilling me. I quickly looked around and dove into some bushes nearest to me, hoping the trees and bushes would hide my trembling body. 

I was trying to calm my breathing as someone started to approach the bush, I was hiding in. I covered my mouth with a shaking hand, so that he couldn't hear me. I heard the footsteps keep moving on past me walking at the same pace they were following in. I let out some tears as I heard the man's feet shuffle backward. He stopped at the bush I was hiding in still facing forward, then slowly, he looked toward the bush and with a vicious snarl on his face, and with glowing eyes he lunged at me.

I woke up, jumping off of Nicoles shoulder and scooting myself to the farthest of the room.  Tears and sweat were running down my face as I started to scream. I realized soon there was no noise coming from me and that I was having trouble breathing it was like my scream, my panic was trapped within my throat it felt, like my lungs were drying out and my throat started to make this wheezing noise as I gasped for breath. I felt a body scoot closer to me shushing me, but nothing could stop the panic from coursing through me. 

"Addie, it's okay, calm down it was just a nightmare. Hey, look at me okay just breath please honey just breathe. He's not here your safe. I saved you. You're with me. Just breathe, look at my face, concentrate on that and breathe."

I looked to her, panic coating my eyes but I nodded my head anyway. Anything to get this burn to stop in my lungs. 

"That's good breath in and out. Your safe. It's okay, I have you now, you're safe."

Nicole began to hold me, telling me affirmations that would get me to calm down when a man came into the room. I shifted my eyes toward him and noticed I had not seen him before. Nicole backed away from me taking a look at my face before letting go and turning to the man. 

"Is it ready?"

He grunted his response, motioning for the door. Nicole helped me up and shuffled us over to the door. The man led us to the exit and brought us to the back door where we had initially entered. He opened the door, with a loud creak and I saw a car with the trunk side facing me. I looked to Nicole with fear, but she just took my hand and patted it. 

"We don't have all day; ladies get inside, or the deal is off, and you can stay here."

Nicole helped me in first and then followed after me. The man then placed a blanket over us and slammed the trunk down. After a few moments the car began to take off, so I turned over to Nicole and began to speak to her. 

"I don't understand. Why are we inside of a trunk. Where is he taking us?"

"Don't worry okay. If you can't trust these people, then trust me. I know this may seem shady, but it was the best they could do on short notice."

I nodded and was silent the rest of the ride to our destination. During the ride Nicole had grabbed my head as if to give me some comfort, so I smiled at her and rubbed her knuckles to let her know I would be okay. When we arrived, the trunk was popped open, and Nicole got out first. She put her hand out to stop me as she surveyed the area, once she felt it was clear she moved on to help me out. The man from before came over to us and barked at us to follow him. We made our way over to a small cargo airplane, which looked more like a hazard than my savior. I gave Nicole and unsure look, but she just pushed me toward the plane. I walked up the steps but soon didn't feel her presence behind me. 

"Nicole, aren't you coming?"

She looked at me sadly and that's when I knew what she was planning. I ran down the steps of the plane, flying toward her. 

"No, you can't leave me. We have to stay together. I won't go without you." I said, shakily.

"Don't worry kid she-" the man began to answer for Nicole, but she cut him off immediately. 

"No, I'm not."

He looked disgruntled at this and turned to her, "What do you mean, 'you're not going'?"

"I mean, I'm not going. You will take Adelaide to France and set her up with the things that were already established for my use, and you will take me somewhere else."

"That wasn't part of the deal. Hell, she wasn't part of the deal. I only allowed her to come since I owe you." He said becoming more angered. I look between the two of them confused. 

" I don't care. You will do this, and we will find another arrangement for me."

"No, you either go with your little friend or you can stay here and wait for you wolf to come get you." He barked.

"Let me make myself clear. You're going to do what I want and that's the end of it. You will not threaten me as if I am some child. You and I both know I am not. " 

She looked at him anger fueling her eyes and he responded. Getting up in her face, "Don't forget what I'm doing for you. What I have been doing for you!"

"And don't you forget who I am!" She snarled at him. I had never heard her angry before. Not like this, it sounded so different, so feral. 

The man backed off after that, seeming defeated. He nodded and made a gesture toward her with his arm extending out. She came over to me holding my face in her hands and looked me over. 

"You will be safe. You will be free, Addie. Go on the plane, please. You will see me again this is the only option."

"No, I'm not leaving without you."

She smiled at me, a smile that didn't quite reach her eyes, "I love you, Addie. Stay safe."

"No!", I screamed out and when to grab her, but someone had taken a hold of me and began to drag me back. I struggled to get to her but was eventually thrown into the plane. One of the pilots was there to take a hold of me next as I heard the door slam shut.

"Ma'am, please calm down."

"No, let me go. I want to go with Nicole."

He shook his head and signaled for the other pilot to take off. As the plane was getting ready to lift off the man had strapped me into the makeshift seat behind him and made sure there was no way for me to move or escape. I looked out the window with angry tears running down my face and saw Nicole waving to me, with tears in her own eyes. I looked away from her, angered at her. My rage began to slowly fill me the entire plane ride. I was angry at her for leaving. I was angry at her secrets. I was angry at my own selfishness, but most of all. I was enraged at the Alpha who had come and ruined everything.