Chapter 37

After the exam, Lucas walked us silently over to our dorms. I could tell he was still angry about the altercation that happened between us and so was I. He's nothing like Ava. He's still, cold, and serious while Ava has a wild streak to herself that comes out through her humor. It's not like I expected them to be the same, but I at least wanted something about him that told me he was a good person. Once we arrived at the room which was smaller in comparison to the doctor's shack, Ava began to twirl.

"This place is great! I love my new digs."

Lucas chuckled and then looked over at me a scowl taking over his face. I rolled my eyes and looked at Ava with a smile. After about a minute of Ava twirling around and cracking some small jokes, Lucas cleared his throat to get our attention.

"Well, I'm glad you like the room. It's yours for the time being. You guys are free to stay inside and relax. The doctor has informed me you both will likely need a lot of rest," he cuts off to point at Ava, "especially you. Tomorrow, I will introduce you to some of the others in the community and you will be given your assignments. I hope that you didn't think you would be staying here for free Luna?" He sneers the last half as if trying to get a dig at me, but I just roll my eyes and turn to the bed. 

As I make my way to laying down on the small lumpy bed, I give him one last glare and say, "If your done with us, why don't you go be useful somewhere else."

I don't bother to turn to see his face and all I can hear is hushed talking between the sibling before he leaves. It takes a little for Ava to start talking again but when she does it's close to me. I feel the bed dip down as she sits on a small spot that remains.

"Sorry about my brother girl. He wasn't always such a stick in the mud. All my humor I actually got from him. Though you weren't exactly yourself either."

I sigh and turn over to look at her, "The doctor said that we would have some residual feelings from the bond. They said aggression and anger is common. Though to be honest I feel like I'm just acting like him. I've adopted his surly moods, and we weren't even around each other a lot. I spent most of my time with Noah."

Ava gives me a confused look at what I'm saying, "That's weird. I don't think I have any residual anything. I mean I'm glad that fucker isn't running through my feels like yours is, but still. It's also weird he didn't take time off to spend time with you. wolves typically take a month off from their duties to be with their mate. Higher officials get less time since their jobs are so important but it's still pretty weird. I mean that dog of mine took off two weeks to spend with me. He only got through the week though and then begged to go back to work. I just have that effect on people."

I started to laugh, and she smiled down at me as if she knew what she was doing. She patted me on my arm and walked over to her bed giving it a small push with her hand, as if testing it, then altogether she plopped down onto the bed. As she snuggled in, she gave me one last look, eyes going serious, "Do you think these beds have bed bugs?"

I laughed and rolled over to the side that faced the wall, "Go to sleep, Ava."

We woke up in the morning early to the sound of our door knocking. I looked over to Ava and while she appeared to have just woken up, I had a sneaking suspicion she was already awake. 

"Come in, oh dear brother of mine."

"Morning ladies, I have some of your supplies with me." He comes into the room carrying two duffels another man walks behind him with two smaller totes that have hygiene products sticking out of the top. 

"This is my friend Darrel. He's one of the high-ranking soldiers around here and he's going to help us out today with the job assignments. We are also going meet with the head of this camp Samuel. He's going to have some questions for you after that you'll be able to have some lunch."