Chapter 6

When we first landed in France, I was escorted to a "safe" cabin which was already furnished and located in a sector where many refugees lived already. From what I could tell by searching was that it had been this way for some time since there was dust and cobwebs everywhere. The men who escorted me there had handed me a small box from the trunk of their car. Stating that everything that I would need was inside. Upon searching the box, I found new paperwork that had identification papers and other things I would need to pass as a new resident of France. 

France is where humans and supernatural's live in harmony. It's a coexistence that doesn't exist anywhere else and many of the people here are refugees from other countries. By their law I cannot be taken or extradited back to the states and if I am caught being taken against my will the person will be punished. The laws are a bit unclear on what kinds of punishments they will face, but to me, anything is better than nothing. The people who dropped me off let me know it was my responsibility to take care of myself from now on and that there was some money saved up inside the box to assist me with some of my living expenses till further notice. They said I should count myself lucky. 

Month 1

It's hard to get out of bed. I'm not working, though I haven't been looking for a job. I don't eat. I can't move. I can't breathe. 

Month 3

It's still hard, but I've found a job at this little bakery near my house. It's nice. A lot of people frequent there and the woman who own the shop, Katrina, has trouble dealing with customers since she has arthritis. It reminds me of home. The older woman reminds me of Nicole. 

Month 6

Things are better now. I work six days a week, I had to really beg to work that many days from Katrina since she thought I was overworking myself, but it gives me things to do. It helps me not think about Nicole, about him. When we have werewolf patrons, I can't handle them. Katrina has to come up front to help them because of the panic attacks I have. They're not all bad and I genuinely see why Katrina is so nice to them, but still, I can't seem to look at them without even a smidge of fear. I'm terrified all the time. Every corner I turn he's there, every store I go, every face I see he's there, he's in all of my nightmares. 

One day after work I had come home to find a letter in my box It was from Nicole. I couldn't bring myself to read it though. I was still so angry at her for leaving me. I understand she was trying to protect but I would rather have been on the run with her than safe and without her. 

Year 1

I read Nicoles letter finally. It didn't say where she was, but she apologized for leaving me. She let me know she was safe and that I didn't have to worry about her. That the cabin was originally hers that she had set up a long time ago, she was just waiting for safe transportation to France. She said this place was her last stop till she met me and felt this connection that made her feel that she had to stay with me. She told me not to blame myself. That she had been alone for so long that it was finally nice to be with someone else for a change. She promised we would see each other again. I hold out hope that she is right, and I try to believe her.

One Year and Two Months Later. 

I had just finished ringing up a regular when Nathan walked out from the kitchen.

"Hey Erin, how are you today?"

"I'm good, what about you? How is school treating you?"

"Alright, I have an award ceremony coming up for my academic achievements. Do you...Do you think you can make it?"

Nathan is a seventeen-year-old refugee who came here when he was young. His mother was mated to a warlock, they call them their intendeds, who she hated with all her being. Nathan comes from a religious background, so she felt that her faith was being tested by having this man who brought about lustrous thoughts from her. When she confided in her family of this "test" she received they shipped her off here the first chance they had along with Nathan who had just been born. His father fought in the war against supernatural's and has been dead for some time now but every now and then I see the faint sorrow in his eyes of never being able to know his father. 

"Yeah, I will see if I can make it."

He nodded eagerly, excitement coting his face as he took over my position. I know he likes me, but he is the closest thing I have to a friend out here, so I don't tell him the harsh truth of us not having a chance. By the time I make it home I am exhausted and drop myself unceremoniously on the sofa. I turn the television on, that took me months to save up for, and turn the channels to the news. Most of the shows that are on television are educational, reruns or shows between mates, so I often turn to the news for background noise. I'm currently listening to plans on how to combat global warming when the screen breaks off into a breaking news sign. A French newscaster comes on the television to provide news on a mishap in America. As I read the English subtitles, I notice she says she is about to play a video from the Alpha Commander of North America. As the video begins to play, I notice a man make his way up onto the stage who is clearly a wolf to introduce the Alpha Commander. 

"I present the Alpha Commander of The Continental Pack, who will be addressing the serious issues that have afflicted our sovereign districts for some months now."

As the announcer makes his way offstage, I notice another wolf come onstage. He takes up the entire space encompassing the entire space with his presence and peering into the camera as if he can see me there watching him. I would recognize him anywhere. He's the villain in all my nightmares. It's him. It's my mate. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was incredibly bored this week, so I wrote another chapter. I know this one is shorter than the others but hopefully as time goes on, they will get longer. There will still be an update coming on Tuesday so be on the lookout for that.