Chapter 20

Before Noah left, I kept asking him questions, hoping he would be able to tell me the answer as to why the Alpha is suddenly giving him the day off or why he's coming back early, but Noah couldn't tell me anything.

"I told him you asked, but he said he wanted it to remain a surprise, sorry."

"It's ok."

Axle arrives about thirty later, he gives me a smile before relieving Noah. He doesn't say anything and certainly doesn't tell me what's going on. Typically, when he's back he takes me upstairs so that we can both get ready for bed, but today I remain downstairs, waiting for him anxiously. Oh god, I haven't had dinner yet. I always have dinner before he gets here. Every time we eat together, he has this way of looking at me, like he wanted to eat me.

As I waited anxiously for him to come back down, I start to pace my way across the room. I've never been a nail biter, never felt the need, but right now that seemed to be the only thing that could calm me down. I bit so low on my middle fingernail that I nicked a nerve and it started to bleed.

"Shit." I whispered.

"I've never heard you cuss before. While it's quite cute I would like to not hear it often."

Startled by Axles voice, I turn around to a few feet away from me. I start to ramble out an apology as he makes his way over to me. Once he's directly in front of me, he trails his hand down my arm to the nail I was biting. He brings it my hand to his mouth and gives the back of my hand a kiss on the back before studying my nail bed.

With a grimace he asks, "Why did you do this?"

"Sorry." I mutter.

He lets my hand drop back down to my side and brings both of his hands to cup around my face.

"Why are you home early?" I squeak out.

He uses his thumb to play with the bottom of my lip, he seems to be obsessed, "I missed you and I believe that you owe me for the dinner you had."

"Our date?"

He hummed his response and let his hands drift back down to my arms. He starts to tug me toward the upstairs, and I begin to panic. It's too early for bed.

"Wait, what about dinner? We haven't had dinner."

"We are eating in my office today. I still have some work to finish, and I want to be alone with you. The women will bring the food to us, and we will eat there."

I nodded slowly and followed him up to the office. He led me over to the couch and pressed me down to sit. I think he likes that he's taller than me. He likes being able to look down on me, it makes him feel strong and boosts his ego. I can tell by the way he's looking at me, there's no love just dark eyes full of lust and dominance. I don't think he can love. He rubs his hands over my hair and runs his fingers through my hair, stroking the end of my strands between his fingers.

"So beautiful." He whispers.

After that, he walks over to his desk and begins to work. I hear the clacking of his typing and the flow of paper. As time passed, there was a soft knock on the door and an older women came in wheeling in a tray with food, silverware, and a pitcher with what looked like tea inside. As we ate in silence, I looked over the room. Trying to memorize every detail, I hoped that if it looked like I was interested in something, he may not speak to me but that didn't seem to be the case.

"Love?"

"Hmm?" I hummed out, too scared to speak.

"Tomorrow we will spend the whole day together. I hope to take you out to breakfast and then show you, my land. You have been relegated to just the house and have only seen a small portion of it. I would like you to feel at home here and on these lands. As Luna, it is your duty to know all aspects of your land as well as the workings of it."