Chapter 50

We tried our best to pick up Darrel and lug him away from where we were but even with both of us carrying him it was a struggle. Lucas was shouldering the majority of his weight while I was there to lend some support to Darrels left side. We had been so focused on trying to get away from the wolves that we hadn't noticed that Darrel was slipping until he fell onto the floor take us with him.

When we made contact with the floor I noticed that as we made the sounds at impact Darrel didn't. Lucas tried to twist him around so that he could get him to walk again but I stopped him by holding my hand out in front of him. I went to look over Darrel and could see that he was starting to sweat more and his skin began to turn ashen.

"We can't move him, Lucas" I say gravely.

"What do you mean? We can't just leave him here!" Lucas shouts.

"We can't keep going with him. We need to get him help. He's going to die, Lucas."

"So what do you suppose we do? I won't leave him here alone." He says with a hiccup.

"I'm not suggesting that." I look at Lucas with a defeated glance.

"Then what are you-" He begins to say but is then cut off when he sees my face. Realization dawns on him as he looks at my face, "She'll be by herself if we stay."

"We have no other option. Once they find that underground tunnel, which I'm sure they have already, they will be looking for us. They probably already have my scent and they won't stop until they reach me. I will put Ava in danger if I go to her. Our only option is for me to stay here with Darrel and you go-"

"No." Lucas says firmly.

"Lucas-"

"No, I told you I won't leave him." I give him a short look after he says this and he just shrugs his shoulders, "Besides, Ava would kill me if I left you."

I let out a sigh and shake my head, "I suppose there's no getting around it then."

Lucas gives me a small grin, "I guess I'm just as stubborn as Ava."

I let out a small chuckle and wince as I can feel a bruise being stressed front the muscle movement. In the distance I can hear talking and I know we only have a little bit of time before we are caught.

"Last chance? You can leave. I won't fault you."

"No, it's gonna be me and you. We found a way out once. We can do it again."

I nodded my head and moved my attention to Darrel who was still sweating a lot. I wiped some of the sweat off his head and used the sweater I was wearing to lift his head off of the ground. After I made sure he was as comfortable as possible I turned my attention back to Lucas who was using his own sweater to put more pressure on his wound.

"You know, I get why you're here for Darrel but what I don't get is why your being nice to me know. No offense but I thought you hated me." I say.

"I didn't hate you. I just didn't trust you. Ava, when she finds people she likes, she latches on to them. Sometimes she doesn't really assess whether they are trust worthy or not. I just needed to make sure you weren't just using her as a means to an end."

"What made you realize that I was loyal?"

"When you said you would stay with Darrel as I ran off. When you put her needs above your own."

I nodded my heads and was about to say something but stopped when I heard the shout of someone near in the forrest. In any other circumstance I probably would start shaking or feeling fear, but right now all I feel is deafest and tired.