Chapter 24

Everday after our date we did exactly what we agreed upon. Axle would come home around six sometimes even later like eight and then we would get ready for dinner or bed and while we would get ready for bed, he would ask me one personal question and then an assembly of other questions about my day. It was so mundane that it began to feel like our new normal. Our second "date" if you can call it that was a night in watching a movie Emily had picked out for us. I wasn't sure what to come up with, so I had asked Emily for ideas when I saw her during our class and she said her and Aiden often love movie nights, though they don't always finish the movie according to her. I took that idea and ran with it, minus the dirty innuendo she provided.

During today's class Noah talks about how the dynamics between wolves and other supernatural creatures go according to the new laws that have been placed and are still being created. He mentions that since the wolves put in most of the work to take over the planet, they were given certain rights over the others and that they must all answer to King Xavier in exchange for their own lands and freedoms. It got me thinking that maybe they aren't as free as I had originally thought. I mean they clearly have certain rights higher than humans but if they have to answer to the wolves, who do the wolves answer to?

"Hey Noah?" I break Noah off from his long introduction and the any different species there are with my own question.

"Yes Adelaide? Is there something wrong?"

He looks panicked, "No I just was thinking if it were possible to go see Ava today?"

He makes a thoughtful expression before answering, "Well, I don't see why not. The Alpha won't be back for a couple of hours since he has a training session with the other pack warriors."

"How come you're not with him? Don't you have to train as well?"

"I do, but since I protect you throughout the day I must do so at night with Beta Aiden or with another warrior."

I give him a startled look, "When do you sleep?"

"What do you mean?"

"I mean sometimes you're here till eight at night and while you eat here, I'm sure your even more hungry when you get back home. How do you have any time for yourself."

"You don't need to worry Adelaide. I love what I do. Being a part of this pack and in this position is something that I've dreamed of my entire life. Besides I live in the main pack house. I don't have to walk far to get here, and the cooks usually have something ready for me."

"Oh, okay."

He nods and then there is this awkward silence that passes between us. I can tell he wants to say something, but he doesn't and I'm not sure if it is because of his fear of my reaction or if I will tell Axle and it could mean a punishment. I hope it's not the latter. I stand up and walk over to him with my arm outstretched. I'm not sure what I'm hoping for, for my hand to be held or a handshake. All I know is that I want him to feel comfortable. I want the awkwardness gone. Noah just stares at my hand as if I just offered him a death wish. I lower my hand back down and scrunch my forehead in both irritation and confusion.

"I can't touch you."

"What do you mean you can't touch me? I'm not diseased."

He gives a furious shake of his head, "You don't understand. I'm not allowed to even call you by your first name-"

"Emily does."

"That's different. She's female and mated. There's no danger of her stealing your affections away. I'm your protector, a male, and essentially your subject. Above all, I'm supposed to treat you with respect and honor. The same honor I give to the Alpha. If he were to see how we act around one another he would have no choice but to punish me."