Chapter 30

By the turn of the next morning, I wake up frustrated. Axle left early this morning around four I believe, and my anger wouldn't let me rest till he was gone. This was the first night that he didn't demand to hold me while we rested, and it wasn't until he was fully asleep that he came over to my side of the bed. Meanwhile I remained awake the entire night angry at him and at myself. I don't understand what I was doing. How could I allow for him to touch me like that? Why did I act like we were more than what we are, predator and prey. Have I lost my mind?

I get up loudly with a grunt and heave the blankets off of me. I don't understand this. I don't understand me. I stalk my way over to the restroom and turn the shower on. I must be so angry because I don't even give the shower enough time to heat and jump right in. The cold hits my skin like harsh pellets and I cringe at the feel of it, but I stay under the water. By the time I get out of the shower, I notice the clock on Axle's side says it's around ten in the morning. I look around the room bemused and realize how stark the walls are. This place is terrible. I take one more look at the clock and resolve that I will just go to Ava's place now. Hopefully she won't mind me being there early. 

As I make my way down the stairs, I see that Noah is sitting on the couch staring blankly at the wall across from him. I tense as I see him sitting there. What am I going to say to him? I don't even know why I'm so nervous. Won't he be happy about last night? I mean Axle is his Alpha and in any wolves' eyes they would have thought Axle and I were looking...mately. I finish making my way down the stairs and the minute I hit the ground floor Noah is already rising from the couch and bends over in a bow. 

"What-what are you doing?" I sputter out.

"Good morning, Luna. The staff have your breakfast waiting for you, something small so you can eat be ready for your lunch later with Ava."

Heat rushes over my body and I know that I must look flustered with anger, "Don't do that!" I hiss.

He looks up at me in surprise, but that emotion is quickly wiped away, "I'm sorry Luna. I don't know what you mean."

"The bowing and calling me Luna. Don't do that! Your supposed to be my friend. If that has changed just because of what you saw last night, then maybe you should have never made the offer to be my friend."

"I'm sorry-"

"Don't. You should know better than anyone that the mate bond affects people in different ways. I can only fight so long before something leaks through. I can assure you though that that was just a lapse in judgement, but if you feel the need to act this way every time, I slip up let me know now and I will request for a new guard." I snap. 

How dare he? He knows first-hand how the bond impacts humans. My anger comes over me in waves and I know I'm not only mad at him. I'm mad at myself for allowing myself to act in that way. I'm mad at Axle for putting me in this situation to begin with. 

He faces comes over with grief at my words and I can feel the guilt of them wash over me. I didn't mean to make him upset. I just...I just I don't know. 

"I'm sorry Noah-"

"No, I should be apologizing. It's not what you think. I was scared that maybe the Alpha was doing the same thing to you that Malcolm's mate had done to him. It always started out with fear tactics then his mate would do something or make some kind of compromise and Malcolm would be happy, but it was really just another manipulative tactic to get Malcolm to give up more of himself. I guess when I saw you laughing...I thought you were giving in."

"Shouldn't you want me to be happy with the Alpha? To give him a chance?"

He lets out a sigh and looks at me, "I know I should and a part of me does, but as your protector," he gives me a look that I can quite decipher, "I never told you this, but protectors are typically chosen Luna's before they ever meet. Many Alphas' go to their pack witch to figure out which wolf was blessed with the bond-"