Chapter 21

The diner that he takes me to is close by in, from what I can tell, a small town. When we arrive inside the other patrons and waiters look at Axle first giving small smiles and the others bowing. It's nice and homely, it reminds me of the diner I use to work in before I met Axle. We are seated in a booth with me sandwiched between the wall and Axle and the other side completely empty. Our waitress, who followed us here to the table leaves two menus and relays to us that she will be back in a short while for our drinks. She also gushes about how what an honor it is to have the Continental Alpha and Luna at her table and how she is so happy we came in today. I give her a feeble smile and Axle gives her a nod and thanks her for her hospitality.

After she leaves, I look at Axle questioningly as he looks through the drink selection of the menu.

"Are you not going to sit on the other side?"

"Why would I do that?"

"Most people who are on dates typically sit on opposite sides of the table. This table is kind of small anyway so wouldn't you feel more comfortable on the other side?"

"No, I'm quite comfortable here."

"Oh." I say down casting my eyes.

I can tell he's looking down at me as I stare at my hands. I can't quite tell but I'm pretty sure he is smiling at me. He thinks I'm funny. He lifts my chin up to face him and looks at me with that same smile he was looking down at me with.

"You are going to have to choose something to drink love. The waitress will be back any minute."

I go to look at my menu but am stopped by the same hand he just previously had on my chin. "Look at mine, love."

I peered over his arm and looked at his, I saw they had all the regular drinks soda, lemonade, tea. "I'll just take a water."

"Come on, love, pick something else. I'll get you the water to, but I want you to feel comfortable enough to choose something. Maybe even your favorite drink?" He suggests.

"Well, can I have a hot chocolate? It's always so cold out and I like the taste of it."

"Of course, you can love," he leans over a little bit and begins to whisper in my ear, "and if you're ever cold, like now for example, you could cuddle up next to me. As a werewolf, I am quite warm to the touch."

A shiver ran down my spine and I looked at him with shock in my eyes. He let out a chuckle and went back to looking at the menu. By the time the waitress comes back she's beaming at the both of us. Axle orders for the both of us and she slips away happily. These people must really bank on his happiness, our happiness. I survey the room and see that a lot of the other customers are giving us side glances and the other people in the diner are giving us anxious looks. If I wanted to make a break for it right now, would any of them help me?

The waitress comes back and sets our glasses on the table, Axle thanks her and she looks over at me, I would assume waiting for some form of acknowledgment. I give her a pleading look, hoping she can see the desperation in my eyes. Her eyes shift for just the slightest moment, and I know she sees it, she's recognized what I was trying to convey to her, but as soon as it's there it's gone and replaced with an anxious smile.

"We still need a few moments before we order. I'll let you know when we are ready." Axle asserts.

She bows and looks at him, my presence seemingly erased from her memory. "Yes Alpha, let me know if you have any questions."

She walks away and I silently plead with her to come back but she doesn't even give me one last glance. I survey the room again giving anyone who looks at me the same pleading look hoping they will come for me, but they all just look away, as if they know what I'm asking but aren't willing to help me.