Chapter 4

Leaving the state wouldn't have been a possibility since there are border patrols everywhere. Nicole said she knew of a place we could go that was underground and hidden from the supernatural's and we could hide their till we had all our supplies and were ready to go.

"Hey Nic, how do you know about this place?" I asked concerned.

"I know a lot of people. I know I have a lot to explain, but right now it is important that we get to this hideout and figure out our next move. I will tell you everything as soon as I can, but right now my priority is you and getting us to safety." She finished.

I nodded and turned my body to face the window. Throughout our drive she has had us change to several different cars by hotwiring them. I didn't even know she knew how to do that. It's like the person sitting next to me is someone else. We were nearing the small town of Solvang when Nicole began to detail the rest of the plan, I wasn't privy to before.

"This town is our lost stop for now, no more cars. Listen to me carefully, when we ditch this car in about ten miles, we are going to have to walk the rest of the way. There's a diner that we will go to that has all the things we need for now. Understand me right now. You cannot look at anyone. Do not speak to anyone. Let me do all the talking. It is important we do not attract attention to ourselves. So far, I have been able to throw off the wolves and the other supernatural's by coating our clothes in the same inhibitor I shoved in that Alpha's face, but I'm running low so we cannot mess this up understand?"

I nodded my agreement, finally we stopped on a quiet street and hiked about five miles, hiding every time a car passed. Finally, we reached a rundown diner that looked more like an old-time saloon than a place to eat called The Kracken Shack. Nicole pulled me toward the back alley where the back door was. She did a signature knock and whistle which alarmed whoever was inside to come open the door. A dirty man in an oversized shirt answered, peering through the peephole.

"Password?"

"Fuyez"

After a pause we were let into the building and led...shoved down a small narrow staircase. There the man instructed us to walk down the hallway down to the last door and wait for instructions after we entered the room. Upon entering, I notice the room is filled with people...humans who are scared and dirty. I look to Nicole, and she leads me over to a corner of the wall that isn't taken. After about three hours several carts are wheeled in with food on top of it. Most of it looks inedible and undercooked but the other people in the room seem to run to the carts to feast upon the food. After about forty minutes, a man in a Fishermans uniform smoking a cigar walks in and begins to survey they room.

"Listen up! Tonight, some of y'all will board our boat and others a train to safe passage to France. It's gonna be a long journey and I ain't gonna kid all y'all it'll be hard, but this is what you paid for. Now those of you taking the train, will be stopping in Mexico and sailing from there, is that clear?"

Everyone in the room mumbles a "yes" while continuing to eat the food. The man begins to explain how he plans to get everyone out of the building in a delivery truck when Nicole pulls me towards her.

"I paid in advance a long time ago, so our passage is by plane. It's not great since it's a small storage plane used for small shipments, but it will be quicker and safer than the boat and train."

"How do they know we are taking the plane?"

"I know the person in charge. Don't worry and let me handle it."

Around three in the morning is when everyone is then sorted into their groups and transported. I heard Nicole go to the man with the cigar and murmur the word "Dearth" which seemed to set the man's eyes alight with understanding. He instructs Nicole a car will be coming for us after the delivery truck has left with the other passengers and that it will be parked with the trunk facing the door so we must be ready to hop into the trunk and place the blanket over us that is inside.

As we wait in the room, I begin to get nervous. I begin to get paranoid. How does she know these people? Why does she know these people?

I turn to her, flaring my nose, I demand, "Now tell me."

"Tell you what?"

"You know what, Nicole! This is all too convenient for just preparation for an unknown fear so fess up."

She pauses for a moment, contemplating whether or not to tell me, then she begins with a sigh, "I have a mate."

"What?"

"I've known him since I was a young kid. Where I'm from, we are raised to understand the roles of mates and what our life will inevitably be like. I understood my role, but I fought it. I wanted freedom. I craved it. I tried to be what he wanted, but eventually I found that we couldn't be together. I couldn't be with him and live with myself.

"What do you mean?"

She shakes her head, indicating she wasn't going to tell me. She had this look on her face that was so solemn that I let it go. It looked like she had been breaking for the longest time and this is the first time I had noticed.

"So, you've been running from your mate this whole time."

She nodded, looking far off into the room, as if she could find a way out of this room. Out of this conversation.

"Have you done this more than once?" I asked.

"Yes, I've always lived alone though until I met you," she explained, "When I saw you looking on the boards for a place to live, I just felt that I needed to know you. I was so tired of being alone and you looked so lost and alone, so I introduced myself and later asked you to live with me."

I can't believe she went through that; I always saw her as so cool and collective that I wouldn't really expect her to run. She was always so respectful to them, that I thought she knew better than to run, to do all these acts that would be considered treasonous. I thought she was always afraid...like me.

As we wait for our ride, I lay my head on Nicoles shoulder and fall asleep. As I start to drift off, I can feel something wet hit my head as she pets my head. She's crying. This is one thing I know about Nicole. When she cries, she needs to be left alone or the anger and sadness in her will destroy us all.