Chapter 41

After our meeting with Samuel and Ava and I's argument, I became anxious. It was like I was waiting for the next shoe to drop. While Samuel didn't come to see me, I felt like he was just lying in wait to come for me. I could feel that something was wrong in the air. Everything was so peaceful, even Ava, that I thought it had to be some kind of joke. I wasn't until the middle of the week that I realized that peacefulness was just a front for what was to come. 

I was standing in the garden, checking on our progress when a soldier I had seen near Samuel's house came over to me. Ava stayed in the dorm this morning complaining she was tired, so I allowed her to. She doesn't sleep well, and I suspect that she has nightmares and holds off her sleep until I leave or until she can't anymore. 

"Hello Miss, Samuel sent me over to bring you over to him. He wishes to speak with you about further plans he has designed with you."

I shift my eyes around looking for an excuse, "Ah, am I able to go later? Ava went somewhere and I should really wait for her to get back."

His face turns into a frown, "The Commander said it was urgent."

With a dejected look, I nod, "Alright, I'll go."

I follow the soldier to the house and along the way I continuously remind myself of how bad of an idea this is. I shouldn't be going alone, but I don't know how to get out of this. Ava is going to kill me. By the time we reach the house, the soldier has made his way to the front door where he parks himself. He faces me and opens the door; he motions for me to go inside and after a quick hesitation I do. 

I make my way into the house and hear the door shut behind me. I can't help but think of this as a final sentencing. One I will definitely not like. I make my way over to the front door of Samuel's office and instead of knocking or going in I take this time to look around. I notice that his house is almost barren. It's clear that there are only necessities in here and that his office is likely the one room in the house that has any of his personality. As I try to look around to see if there is anything that may help me in the house, I hear Samuel speak up from behind the door. 

"Adelaide, you may come in. No need to be frightened."

I cringe as I hear his voice. How did he know I was here already? I slowly open the door and take a cautious step inside. I see Samuel across the room by his chair. He is standing behind it and giving his best smile. It takes everything in me not to shudder at his face or his demeanor. I know he's expecting something out of this interaction today. I can feel it. 

"You wanted to see me?"

He smiles broadly at me and motions for me to sit, before I can tell him no, he interrupts me, " Please sit, this talk may be a bit stressful and long. You have nothing to fear."

His face is still wide, and I can tell by the tension in his posture that if I say no, he'll take it badly. I wonder though if I can manipulate this situation to my advantage. If I give a little, will he? I cautiously take a seat and keep my eyes on him. He eases back into his chair and puts his elbows up on the desk. He places both hands together and leans his chin on them; he's still looking at me. His smile is no longer huge taking up his face but a small one that still has the same emotion as the last one. He's looking me over and I can feel the blood in my body ice over. 

I clear my throat to get his attention, "You called me here for something important?"

His eyes light up when I speak and he leans back in his chair, relaxing, "Yes, I wanted to discuss your role in this proceeding. We will be doing the conference tomorrow and this will be televised. We have some tech people here who were able to get a hold of some cameras and are able to send over our recording over to the more centralized stations."