School Drama

Sunday was boring, and I had too much on my mind today. I was wondering if Zach was ok, and everything, but I couldn't bring myself to call him. So I sat at home going crazy over if he is ok or just what may happen tomorrow at school. However, when I finally got the courage to call him, he doesn't answer the phone so I left it alone.

So here I am standing by my locker, I was expecting Zach to just pop out of nowhere, but for some reason I had a feeling he wasn't going to come today. Grabbing my books from my locker, I closed it to only feel a tap on my shoulder. Turning around quickly, my smile slowly fell when I saw Derek instead, and he gave me a smirk.

"Sorry I'm not Zach."

"It's ok, what's up Derek?"

"Just wondering how are you."

"I'm fine, is Zach?"

"He's getting by. He said he's sorry he can't be here."

"Oh I see."

We then stood there kind of awkward, when he then reached into his bag. He then handed me this notebook, and I took it looking down at it.

"Zach said remember this week starts benchmarks."

My eyes widen at that, I totally forgot that we were voting to start benchmarks today. Letting out a sigh, I dropped my head down.

"Thanks Derek."

" No problem."

Lifting my head, he had turned to walk away when he stopped and turned back around.

"Be careful Melissa."

Staring at him blankly, I gave him a nod, before he left. Derek looked really serious, I wonder just what is going on with that girl name Alice.

As the day went on, I noticed a few things. That girl Alice came with another girl, and they seem to bring drama everywhere they went.

I also realized that Alice had a few classes with me, and when she did, she did nothing, but stare at me. Talk about creepy and weird.

I so couldn't wait for class to be over, or for a matter of fact I couldn't wait  school was over. Since Zach wasn't here, I guess tutoring wasn't happening either.

Here walking down the hall, I heard someone call out to me.

"Melissa."

Turning my head, I saw Alice coming over with that girl behind her.

"Yes?"

"This is my sister Amanda, she wanted to talk to you."

Staring at the girl, she was kind of pretty. She had short brown hair, light brown eyes, but unlike Alice she was on the thick side.

Staring into her broken eyes, my grip on my backpack tightened. She then took a step closer, and I felt like turning and running.

"Yes?"

"Give em back."

Her voice was soft, but I could see the anger in her eyes.

"Excuse me?"

"Give him back."

She said a little louder, and I stared at him weary.

" I'm not understanding, give what back?"

"Don't play stupid, give him back. Give me Zach back."

She yelled, and I took a step away from her.

"I..."

"He belongs with me, so give him back. You couldn't possibly understand him like I do."

Alice then grabbed her, and started to pull the girl back, but she still was struggling. Her face looked distressed, but I could see the fierceness in her eyes. That is what scared me, and I suddenly heard the whispers.

Looking around, I saw that a few people was staring at me. I could feel my cheeks turning red, when a hand touched my back. Jumping, I turned my head around to see Derek. He was staring ahead of me with a worried expression on his face, before he looked down at me.

"Come on Melissa, I'll walk you to lunch."

"Ok..."

He guided me away from the people and toward the cafeteria. I had suddenly lost my appetite, and Derek guided me to this table. Sitting down, I noticed that there were a few guys that I didn't know sitting here. They all looked at me, and I glanced down at the table, oh how I wish I could disappear.

"Don't worry Melissa."

Looking back at Derek, he smiled sitting down beside me. Squeezing my hands together, I took a deep breath, before looking up.

"Oh guys, this is Melissa. You know Zach's girl."

I could feel my cheeks burn at those words 'Zach's girl'. Was I really Zach girl, is that why that crazy girl approached me, and started yelling about giving Zach back. Just what is Zach to me? He's my tutor... a friend maybe... but friends don't do the things we've done. I don't think we're going out or anything, man I'm so confused.

"Hey Melissa, are you ok?"

Blinking, I looked back at Derek, before giving him a little nod. Was I ok? Maybe, maybe not, I truthfully don't know yet. That girl kind of scared me... I don't know what to say to her if she confronts me again.

"Is Zach coming tomorrow?"

Looking at Derek, he glanced away, and I looked at the others at the table. They all refused to meet my look or answer my question. Letting out a huff, I stared down at the table for a moment.

"Here comes trouble."

Lifting my head, I saw that girl again, Alice's sister again, and she was making her way over here. Oh please don't let her come over here for me, and I balled my fists up. I refused to look up, but I could feel her at the end of the table.

"Where is Zach?"

"Not here."

"Your lying."

Lifting my head, I glanced at her, and then the guys. They were all rolling their eyes at her, before looking away. Slowly touching Derek's arm, he grabbed my hand giving it a slight squeeze, before I took a deep breath.

"Why won't anyone tell me were he is?"

Glancing back at her, she had tears in her eyes. I stared at her for a moment, before I saw Alice walk through the door.

"You know don't you."

Looking at the girl, she was glaring hard down at me.

"I don't."

"You do, your lying to me just like everyone else. You want to keep him to yourself."

She was getting loud, and I scooted a little away from her. What is wrong with this girl. She balled up her fists, and for a moment, I thought she was going to swing at me. A hand then slammed on the table beside me, and I jumped surprised to see Derek stand up.

"Knock it off Amanda. No one is lying to you, Zach is not here, and even if he was he wouldn't want to see your crazy ass."

"That's not true."

Her voice got quiet, as tears slowly rolled down her face.

"If it's not, why hasn't he called you in the last three years. Just get it over it, he doesn't want you anymore."

"No!"

She yelled, before Alice grabbed her. She threw us a dirty look, before pulling her sister away, and Derek sat back down. I watched as they went to the other side of the cafeteria, and I glanced at Derek to see him rubbing his eyes tiredly.

"This is going to be trouble."

Looking back down at me, he gave me a little smile.

"I wish you good luck, Melissa."

What did he mean by that exactly.