Bonus Chapter #2

TW: War scenes, violence, etc

Flashback

There's no way it could be.

It was so easy to tell to the female eye. I chuckled a little.

"Hey!" I called over from my tent. 

The young soldier shuffled their feet over to me. "Yes, Lieutenant L/N?"

"What's your name, soldier?" I asked them.

"Ross Howzer, ma'am!"

"Ross? Or...?" I trailed off. 

They widened their eyes. They glanced down to the side. "No, ma'am, it's actually Rose," she said quietly.

I put my hand on her shoulder. "There's no need to hide. I mean, you see me standing right here."

She nodded. "What do you suppose I'll do?"

"I think we should check in with General Washington, and if he continues to approve you, I can introduce you to my friends," I smiled warmly.

And that's how the friendship began.

Y/N and Rose fought bravely together on the battlefield. They defended each other and always had each other's backs. 

August 16, 1780

Battle of Camden 

"DUCK!" I shouted as bullets whizzed past our faces. "ROSE, GET DOWN!" I had to shout again.

I sprinted over to her and threw her to the ground with me on top of her.

"Aim------fire!" We heard the British general command.

We didn't have time to get back up before they shot, so we stayed flat on the ground with our faces covered in mud. 

"Alright, soldiers, move!" Our side ordered. 

"Let's go, Y/N," Laurens ran up beside me and motioned me to go along with him. 

I ran and shouted behind me, "Come on, Rose!"

We ran more, and I had to look behind me again. "Rose, you have to keep up!!"

Screams and cries sounded all around me, making it hard to keep track of everything. 

I swiveled my head around back and forth. Red coats and blue coats became mixed into one sea.

"Rose! John! Where are you?!" I searched.

A distance away from me, I heard a distinct groan that was almost deafened by the sound of gunshots. 

Fallen to the ground lay a John Laurens, and making their way over to him was the young Rose. 

I hurried over to him with my head down low and knelt to the ground. 

John groaned, "I'm sorry, Y/N. Now you have to deal with stupid old me." His voice was laced with that frustrated-laughing-pain-filled feeling. 

"What do we do, Y/N?" Rose questioned worriedly. 

I bit my cheek so hard that I could taste the blood. 

"Take your coat off and tie it around his leg. He'll have to stay here until the coast is clear when we can move him.

She obeyed and tied the sleeves together as tight as she could into a makeshift tourniquet. 

"Ok, here," I handed her a weapon from my side holster, "take my spare gun and defend yourself and him." I put my hand on her shoulder, her face contorting into fear. 

"Don't leave him and do whatever it takes to survive. I'm counting on you," I said quickly and ran off. 

Almost an hour later, the battle still continued rigorously but was coming to an end. I kept the two friends in my side view but put my main focus on the war in front of me.

There was no one near me at the moment, so I made the executive decision to hurry back to where the two lay.

I heard a loud agonizing scream filled with unbearable pain. I didn't realize it was my own. I didn't know that my feet had sped up their pace by triple the amount until I came to full realization that a soldier in a blue coat had aimed and shot Rose right in the stomach. Her face was frozen in shock and fear. 

"Rose!" John shouted as he tried to sit up but didn't manage to.

"Rose!" I shouted as I crumpled down to where she tried to clutch her stomach.

"Y/N, it hurts," she said weakly as she coughed up blood.

"Rose, come on. You got it, Rose. You can handle this," I shook her.

I turned to the other soldier running up to us. "Lieutenant Y/N, I-I didn't know, I-"

I didn't know what to say. I just stared at him in shock.

I glanced back at bleeding Rose laying limp in my arms.

"You killed her," I whispered.

It ultimately dawned on me. "YOU KILLED HER!" I shouted while the tears flowed freely down my face.

"Y/N, you have to stay down, please," John begged and grabbed my arm weakly.

"It was an accident, I swear!"

"SHE WAS ONLY 16!"

"Y/N, get down!" Someone exclaimed and tackled me as a new round of gunshots flew past us. My head slammed against the ground into the dirt, but it was better than being shot.

"Laf, there you are," John said.

"It's not over yet!" Lafayette said as he rolled off of me. "You can't let your guard down over someone-"

He stopped when he saw the girl with her eyes close. "... is that..?"

I covered my eyes with my hand as I couldn't process what was happening. 

Lafayette noticed that Laurens was down, too, and took a quick deep breath.

"Just stay down you two. I'll cover you."

And that's how it went until the battle was finally over. 

It was a victory for the British, but even if the Americans had won, it wouldn't have made a difference to Y/N. 

She lost her friend. She lost the mental battle. She lost herself.

But hey, dats life :p