Part 10

Carina glanced back up at Maya's vitals, happy to see that her wife's blood pressure was edging back toward normal. She looked back at her face, standing up and pressing a gentle kiss to her forehead, brushing a piece of blonde hair back into place. Maya's hair also probably needed to be washed, but that would be hard with the stitches so Carina decided it could wait a few more days.

Just then, there was a knock on the door, Vic stepping in.

"Hey," the younger woman said, smiling a little at Carina before her eyes widened as she looked at Maya, "Woah."

"Hello Victoria," Carina said, "How are you feeling?"

"It comes and goes," Vic said, sitting down in a chair, "Jack had been staying with us and helping out which is nice except it's Jack, so he needs supervision and Trav was pretty much knocked out on pain pills the past few days, so I have been trying to rest but also keep him from completely destroying our place. I tried to do laundry and cook yesterday because we can only take so much grilled cheese, but by the time I finished cooking, I felt so sick I almost threw up and then I ended up going to bed at 6 pm."

"Concussions are terrible," Carina nodded, "I got one when I was in university, and going to class and studying was impossible for a while."

"Yeah," Vic said, "But I can't complain. I am doing pretty well all things considered."

Both Vic and Carina looked at the captain laying in the bed, machines keeping her alive.

"How are you doing?" Vic asked, drawing Carina's attention off her wife, "I know all of this is a lot."

"Si," Carina nodded, "It is. I am...managing. Right now, I am ok."

"Well, if there's ever anything you need, I am off work for another week per Dr. Shepard's requirements, but I am good to drive again so I can do whatever you need," Vic said.

"Grazie," Carina nodded, offering as much of a smile as she could muster, "How long is Jack staying with you?"

"We are kicking him out after we get home from here," Vic said, "It was nice to have him around when Travis was high on pain pills all day and I was too sick and in too much pain to get out of bed, but now that both of us are feeling better, he needs to go. I do not know how Marsha lives with him. He is a disaster."

"I am glad you and Travis are better enough to be on your own again," Carina nodded, trying not to let the tears that were gathering in her eyes show.

She truly was glad her wife's friends were getting better, but the fact that the woman she loved was lying in a hospital bed unconscious with no working kidneys and an infection raging in her blood while the other people she was in the accident with were recuperating at home and actually making strides toward getting better was hard.

"I am going to go so Travis and Jack can both have a chance to come up here," Vic said, walking over to Carina, "I can come back though, whenever. Just let me know. Or I'll text you."

"Thank you," Carina said, nodding as Vic gave her a small hug, trying hard not to flinch at the physical contact.

"Bye," Vic said, leaving, "I'll send one of the boys up next."

Carina nodded, taking a deep breath as Vic left. She was getting exhausted and starting to feel overwhelmed again, but she had told Maya's team they could come, and she knew Jack and Travis were already here so she decided she could just power through and then convince her friends to just leave her alone. She rubbed at her eyes which felt puffy and itchy from all the crying that had been going on the past few days. Just then, there was another knock, Jack coming in.