Part 37

Once Maya had managed to calm down, Carina got up, going to grab supplies to wrap Maya's lines so she could shower. Just as she was getting ready to disconnect her IV line, the nurse came in.

"Oh, wait," the nurse said, "I need to give her the anti-nausea meds."

"Oh, si," Carina nodded, moving aside.

"So, this is the same medication we gave you yesterday," the nurse said, putting the medication into Maya's IV, "We will give you another dose in about four hours. The test is about eight hours long so that should take us all the way to the end of it, and hopefully, your body will be able to move the fluids through by then."

"Ok," Maya nodded, rubbing her puffy eyes, "Sounds good."

"Alright," the nurse said, "Now, does this IV need to be disconnected?"

"Yeah," Maya nodded, "If that's ok? I want a shower."

"Oh, of course," the nurse nodded, "And Carina, I see you have the wraps to keep everything dry."

"Si," Carina said, holding up the wrap.

"Do you want me to get PT or OT in here to help you?" the nurse asked as she disconnected Maya's IV as well as her feeding tube.

"I don't think so," Maya said, looking to her wife for confirmation, "No. I think we can handle it. Walking is getting easier and Carina helped me with the shower the first time I showered."

"Alright," the nurse nodded, "Well, just call if you need anything."

"Thanks," Maya said as the nurse left.

"Ok," Carina said, looking at her wife, "I am going to go get everything ready in the bathroom and then I will come help you. Let's see what Andy brought for you to wear."

"Oh, can I have those navy-blue shorts?" Maya asked, seeing Carina pull out one of her favorite pairs of shorts, "Oh, and your Catania football t-shirt?"

"That's mine," Carina said, giving Maya a look.

"I know," Maya said, "But I really like wearing it and..."

"Bambina, I'm joking," Carina said, shaking her head, "Of course you can wear it. I don't think I have worn anything that is mine since you got here. Of course, you can wear my shirt."

"Sorry," Maya said, knowing she completely missed that Carina was joking.

"It's ok," Carina said, abandoning what she was doing, "I know you are nervous about today and feeling a bit overwhelmed."

Maya nodded a little as Carina smoothed her hair, pressing a kiss to her forehead.

"Ok," Carina said after a minute, "I am going to take this stuff into the bathroom and make sure everything is set up for you. I'll be right back."

Carina disappeared into the bathroom, Maya hating that she was so emotional today. She wanted to be here for her wife when she had her therapy and not give her another thing to worry about. She let out a frustrated sigh as she ran her good hand through her hair. The day had barely started and she was already over it.

Carina came back from the bathroom, seeing the disgruntled look on her wife's face.

"What is that look for?" Carina asked, going over to the bed to help her wife get up.

"I don't know," Maya said as Carina helped her move across the bed, "I'm just...I don't know. Feeling a lot of things."

"Do you want to talk about it?" Carina asked as the blonde carefully pushed herself up to sitting before standing, using the cane and her wife to stabilize herself.