Part 39

The night was not quite what Maya hoped.

Carina was knocked out hard from the moment her head hit the pillow which did not surprise Maya in the slightest. She had seen her wife sleep for 18 straight hours after a therapy session because they just wore her out so much. The first time it had happened, Maya had been genuinely worried that something was wrong, but it became a pattern after her EMDR sessions.

Maya, on the other hand, did not sleep through the night. She first woke up about half an hour after she fell asleep feeling nauseous, calling the nurse immediately. Luckily, the nurse had a PRN order to give her more of the medication she had been started on and they managed to get the nausea under control without Maya throwing up which felt huge.

She then fell back asleep until about 3 am before waking up with her thoughts racing. She was spinning about all the uncertainties that lay ahead in this recovery process. What would the dietitian say? Would her kidney continue to function as it should? Would her aorta continue to do as well as it had before? How long would it be before she got her strength back in her leg and abs?

And the biggest question that just kept swirling in her head as when she would get to go home. That was all she wanted, especially now that she was feeling better. She had absolutely no idea what she needed to accomplish to be able to leave, but she knew she probably should ask just so she could get a better idea of what she needed to get done. She was very anxious, but she did not want to wake her wife who she knew desperately needed sleep.

She worked her way through some breathing exercises, somehow managing to calm herself down and fall back asleep after probably a good hour and a half awake.

The next time she woke up, it was 6 am and Maya knew she wasn't going to sleep more. She also knew she couldn't really move much because Carina was still asleep.

She did have her phone within reach, grabbing it and checking her messages. She had texted Andy the night before to ask how she was and the Latina had responded, telling Maya that she was feeling better, that she and Robert had talked and worked out some things which made her feel a lot better emotionally. She thanked Maya for being there for her and also asked how she was doing.

Maya brought her best friend up to speed on how things were going for her before going to her Duolingo app, going through some more Italian lessons. She was finding parts of it easy to pick up on because some phrases Carina used often and Maya had learned their meaning a long time ago. However, some were tricky and she found herself mildly frustrated at how long it was taking for her to learn simple phrases.

She had very little exposure to other languages growing up, her father believing that people in America should speak English or not be allowed to live there which Maya never quite agreed with, but she never dared say anything about it.

She had been required to take some kind of foreign language in high school, but she had chosen French because it seemed interesting. She barely remembered any of it at this point though.

Andy had taught her some phrases in Spanish over the course of their friendship, but those were mostly just to keep people calm on calls until she could get someone who spoke Spanish to help.

She was pretty determined to learn Italian at this point, especially because they were seriously talking about having a baby and Maya knew Carina was going to want the baby to be bilingual.

She got through several lessons before the nurse came in at 8 am for Maya's morning meds.

"Alright," the nurse said, "I see you have been eating. How did that go?"

"It was fine," Maya said, "I got more medicine after I ate because I wasn't feeling well, but it worked and I managed to keep everything down."

"Excellent," the nurse nodded, "Well, I am going to give you the same medications in pill form this morning, with the adjustments made to see how you handle it."