Part 16

The night was not as rough as they were expecting, but it was also not great. Maya was up three times because of her upset stomach, kicking Carina out of the room every time. Carina also woke up once from a nightmare, sitting upright as she woke up in a panic.

"Carina," Maya mumbled, waking up as she felt Carina's hand pull away from hers, "What's wrong?"

The Italian was struggling to breathe through her panic attack, unable to answer Maya.

"Hey," the blonde said, mad at her body that it wouldn't let her sit up and comfort her wife how she wanted to, "Car. Give me your hand, please? Right here, ok?"

Carina reached back, taking Maya's hand in her own.

"Good," Maya said, glad she had some physical contact to offer Carina a little comfort, "Can you look at me? Come on Carina. Eyes on me. You can do it."

Carina slowly looked at Maya, locking eyes with her wife.

"Good," Maya nodded, smiling at her, "Can you take a deep breath? I'll count out some box breathing for you, ok?"

Carina did as Maya said, listening as her wife slowly and carefully counted out her breathing pattern.

Normally, the blonde would do the exercise with her wife which always made it easier for Carina to follow. However, Maya's ribs were still too sore and achy to do the deep breathing this exercise required.

It took a little longer than normal, but eventually, Carina did manage to calm down.

"Va bene?" Maya asked as Carina's breathing fully returned to normal.

"Si," Carina nodded, rubbing her tired eyes, "Sorry. I don't know..."

"Don't apologize," Maya said, shaking her head, "It is ok. Is there anything I can do?"

"Can you just hold my hand?" Carina asked, "How are you feeling?"

"Crampy and gross," Maya said, "But I'm ok right now. Are you going to be able to go to sleep?"

"I don't know," Carina said, "But you can sleep. You need rest to fight this infection."

"I can sleep during the day," Maya said, "Do you want to talk about your dream?"

"I was watching you bleed out," Carina sighed, voice shaking a little bit, "And every time I tried to get to you, I just kept getting further away and you were yelling for me and I was yelling, but it was like you couldn't hear me."

"I'm so sorry," Maya said, squeezing Carina's hand tighter as she heard Carina start to cry, "I wish I could take this away from you."

Carina rolled on her side, moving closer to Maya, the blonde managing to get her left arm into a position where she could play with Carina's hair, something that almost always calmed the Italian down. Maya was careful to avoid the stitches in Carina's head as she gently whispered some sweet nothings in Italian that she had learned over the years.

Eventually, Carina calmed back down, sighing as she moved a little.

"Feeling better?" Maya asked, smiling at her wife.

"Si," Carina nodded, "Grazie Bambina. Now, you need to go to sleep."

"So do you," Maya said, feeling her eyes getting heavy, "Are you going to be able too?"

"I will try," Carina said, nodding, "Or I will at least rest my eyes."

"Ti amo," Maya mumbled as she started to fall asleep.