Part 23

Turns out, Carina was right and she struggled to settle down enough to sleep because her stomach was so unsettled. She was up and down a lot, Maya's heart breaking a little every time Carina got up to go to the bathroom.

A couple hours after sending the initial email, Diane emailed back, telling Carina she had heard about the accident and that she would be able to come see Maya the following day as long as nothing came up in the department. She said she could be there around 1 if that worked for them, which Carina told her it would.

"Bambina, Diane can be here tomorrow around 1," Carina said, "Is that ok?"

"As long as I make sure Jared doesn't come until at least 2:30," Maya nodded, "And as long as we are both feeling ok."

"Ok," Carina said, emailing Diane back, telling her that would be fine before setting her phone down, moving a little to try to find a comfortable position, "I don't know how you have been dealing with this without being able to move."

"Well, it hurts a lot," Maya shrugged, "But moving hurts way way more. I don't know. The pain meds help and I think at this point, my brain has just started blocking some of the pain out. I'm pretty good at that."

"You have gotten much better at listening to your body," Carina said, looking at her wife.

"I try," Maya said, "Now, what can I do to help you feel better?"

"This is helping," Carina said, cuddling closer to her, "And I pulled the heating pad back out."

"I'm sorry you are feel so sick," Maya said, "Do you want to try to sleep or would you rather watch or listen to something?"

"Did you get your evening meds yet?" Carina asked, looking at Maya.

"Yeah," Maya said, "Now they are just mixing them in with the tube feeding so I'm good."

"Ok," Carina said, "Then can we turn the lights off and try to sleep? Only if you are ready though."

"I think I need to use the bathroom one more time," Maya said, "And then yes. I'm exhausted."

Soon enough, they were both in bed together, Carina cuddling close to Maya.

The Italian passed out pretty fast, but of course, Maya was struggling to sleep. She was going through how she was feeling in her head, trying to decide what she wanted to talk about with Diane.

She really didn't have a great idea of what she was feeling at the moment, but she knew she was anxious to a level she hadn't been in a really long time, mostly because her body was not doing what she was used to it doing.

She was worried she was never going to recover and that these injuries were going to have a serious impact on her ability to do the things she loved. She was terrified she wasn't going to recognize who she was once she got out of this hospital bed.

She wanted to get back to her normal life, but she had yet to ask anyone if that was even going to be possible. She was pretty sure no one knew if it was going to be possible yet because her kidney was still not cooperating and if it didn't start doing whatever it was her kidney was supposed to do, she was going to need more surgery and possibly a transplant.

No one had really talked about that yet, but she knew that she couldn't stay on dialysis forever, and if her kidney never got itself back in gear, she was going to need one that worked. She had no idea what the department's policy was on organ transplants, but she knew if she ended up needing that, it would be months and months or even years before she got back to work.

Also, she wasn't totally sure what the damage to her leg was, and while taking a step earlier today had made her feel a little better, she still didn't know if she was going to get her full mobility back ever.