Part 33

Carina checked her emails while Maya slept before working on her meditation again. She knew she was going to have therapy the following day and was trying to make sure she was in the best mental shape possible so that maybe she would make it through the appointment feeling better than she had the last time. She was pretty convinced that it would go better, especially considering that she had been coming down with c. diff at her last appointment and had been running on almost no sleep.

She was feeling better than she had been right after Maya's accident, but she could also feel her anxiety bubbling up again, worries about leaving Maya still present and sometimes overwhelming. She was going to talk to her therapist about it and also about maybe thinking about going back to work. She wasn't sure when she would be ready for that, but she wanted to start working up to it, maybe trying to get her mind to let her focus enough to just see patients for routine exams for a few hours and work up to working for a longer time. She wasn't sure how long it was going to take for that to happen, but she wanted to start working up to it sooner rather than later.

She knew once Maya was home, she was going to need a lot of help, and while Carina knew for a fact that Vic, Andy, Travis, Amelia, Teddy, Jo, and probably everyone else they both worked with would be willing to be at their house any time, she wanted to be able to be home full time to help her adjust for at least a week or two.

She had no idea how long Maya was going to be in the hospital. She knew her wife was making leaps and bounds of progress every day, but her stomach was still not doing what it should and her kidney had only just started working again. Her mobility was also not quite where it needed to be for her to be out of the hospital either, but that was improving quicker than Carina imagined it would.

She made a mental note to ask Meredith what she was thinking as far as a discharge timeline in the next few days. She was betting it would be at least another week but maybe longer depending on how everything continued to progress. Carina debated if she should ask Meredith about Maya's discharge in private, knowing that sometimes, Maya would try to compete with doctors' expectations, trying to get out of the hospital or get better faster than the timeline they gave which often lead the blonde into more trouble.

There was one time that Maya had dislocated her shoulder in a fire maybe a month after Carina moved in, and Link had stuck her in a sling and told her to rest it for four weeks, telling her she could see a physical therapist at the end of those weeks to get some exercises to make sure everything healed properly.

However, Carina had come home two weeks later to find Maya doing physical therapy exercises she had found on the internet. That had been a bad plan, and the blonde had pushed it too far and had redislocated the shoulder just as Carina walked in the door, starting her recovery time over, leading to a lot of unnecessary pain, and a completely avoidable trip to the hospital in the middle of the pandemic.

It had also led to a huge fight between the two of them that landed Maya in the guest room for a few nights because she refused to admit she was wrong. However, eventually, Maya came around, admitting she was wrong.

It was then that Maya had opened up to her about exactly how Lane Bishop treated injuries, illnesses, and any other signs of weakness. Carina was horrified to learn that Maya had never once been allowed to not run, not when she broke her arm at recess at 9, not when she had strep throat and couldn't even swallow her own spit without almost sobbing, not when she had pneumonia and could barely breathe and ended up passing out during the run, and most certainly not when her ankle, which she had initially injured when she was in high school, acted up or got reinjured like it did at the Olympics. The only time Maya could remember not having to run was when she had contracted a kidney infection so bad that she passed out after a race and landed herself in the hospital for three days for a course of IV antibiotics and constant monitoring.