Part 30

Maya slept for a long time, Carina just relaxing and scrolling through her phone, just enjoying holding her wife like this. This was exactly what she needed, what she had been craving since she first saw Maya coming out of the aid car almost two weeks ago. The fact that they had been here two weeks was mind blowing to her because it felt like it had been months and also only days. So much had happened and just thinking about it made Carina want to squeeze Maya tightly, though she resisted because she didn't want to hurt her wife or wake her up.

She was so happy Maya was doing better, and yet there were still anxieties creeping into her head. The biggest ones were related to Maya's kidney, aorta, and her inability to hold anything down that went into her stomach.

She was worried about her kidney because it was still in such a delicate place and while things were getting better, it still had a long way to go.

The aorta injury had been the scariest from the beginning, and Carina knew that it had been repaired and looked good, but that there would be an increased risk of it becoming a problem in the future. She also knew that meant a lifetime of medications for Maya that would have to be carefully balanced in order to still allow her to do her job properly, and while she had every trust that Maya had the best doctors looking out for her, it would still make her already dangerous job even more dangerous, even if it was just by a small amount.

At the moment, though, the thing she was most immediately worried about was Maya's stomach. The fact that every single time Maya even tried to put anything in her stomach she ended up nauseous and sick worried Carina to no end. She knew it could just be Maya's body struggling with her injuries, but she was getting worried that there was something more serious going on. She knew Maya's doctors were keeping an eye on it, but she still wasn't able to take anything orally in a few days, Carina was going to talk to Meredith about getting so imaging done, just to make sure everything was ok. For now, though, she was just grateful that Maya was still getting nutrients through her feeding tube and that that seemed to be helping her energy levels and strength some.

About an hour after Maya fell asleep, the nurse came in with Maya's next round of meds and a new feeding bag.

"I'm glad she is resting," the nurse said as she slowly pushed the meds into Maya's IV, "Carina, do you want me to get you something else to eat besides crackers?"

"One of our friends is bringing by some soup in like two hours," Carina said, "I will be fine until then."

"Alright," the nurse said, "Well, if you change your mind, let me know. Or if you need anything else."

"Actually, I had a few things I wanted to ask you about," Carina said, "First, can you cancel her evening PT session? That shower was a lot, and I know if they come, she will want to do it, but she really needs this more."

"Of course," the nurse nodded, knowing how Maya was after taking care of her for over a week and also knowing that trusting Carina about Maya was always the right option, "She has been doing really well with all of it anyway, and I know she needs this rest."

"Si," Carina nodded, tracing patterns on Maya's arm, "Also, can you ask Dr. Hunt to come look at her leg? I think it is time for the stitches to come out, and I saw it up close today when she showered, and it looks good. I just want to make sure he agrees."

"Absolutely," the nurse nodded, looking at the computerized chart she had been working off of, "Actually, it looks like Dr. Hunt already has plans to come down here and see her this afternoon."

"Good," Carina smiled, happy to know she wasn't losing her mind in thinking the stitches should come out, "Ok. I think that is everything."

"Alright," the nurse said, nodding, "Well, you know how to get me here if you need me."