Part 21

On her way to find Maggie, Carina tried to remind herself to breathe, finding that she was feeling pretty overwhelmed. She was trying to be so positive for her wife who she knew was struggling so much right now, but now that she didn't have to be so strong in front of her, she wanted to cry. It was so hard to see Maya the way she was, so sick and vulnerable and in so much pain.

Luckily, her pain seemed to, finally, be receding somewhat which was huge. If Maya's pain got better, she would be able to start moving around more which would hopefully help her mental health a little. She was also hoping that Maya's kidney would start to bounce back soon because she knew if it didn't, the only option she was going to have was going to be transplant which was terrifying.

She was hoping that with the nutrition she as going to start getting through the tube, that Maya was going to start feeling stronger, and that her body would start kicking the infection she had been struggling with.

Carina made it to Maggie's office, the younger woman smiling as she looked up from her paperwork.

"Ready for some lunch?" Maggie asked, "I think I head you have some food in the fridge in the attending's lounge."

"Oh yeah," Carina nodded, "Maya said she had stuff down there. I'm not super hungry so you can have some too, if you want."

"You don't have to do that," Maggie said, shaking her head, "You can save it and have it later."

"No," Carina replied, "Honestly, my stomach has barely been handling crackers and yogurt and Pedialyte the past couple days. It will just go to waste."

"Are you getting sick?" Maggie asked, looking worriedly at her friend.

"I don't think so," Carina sighed, "Just some anxiety side effects and some antibiotic side effects. I'll be ok."

"Ok," Maggie said, eyeing Carina carefully as they walked into the longue, "Well, what do you want?"

"I think Maya said there is soup?" Carina said as Maggie opened the fridge.

Within ten minutes, both Carina and Maggie both had food and were head outside to sit on a bench.

"So, how are you doing?" Maggie asked, stirring the pasta Carina insisted she eat.

"I am...feeling slightly better emotionally and mentally today," Carina said, thinking for a second, "But I am exhausted physically."

"I'm sure," Maggie nodded, frowning, "Is there anything any of us can do to help? Do you want another prescription for sleeping pills or anything from home?"

"Vic, Travis, and Andy brought a bunch of stuff yesterday," Carina said, taking a small bite of her soup, "And it helped. The day after therapy is always rough. I will be ok. Thank you though."

"Well, if you do need anything, just let me know," Maggie said, "Seriously, anything."

"Grazie," Carina nodded, "How is your research going?"

They talked for a few minutes about Maggie's research, Carina trying to force some food into her stomach but finding she just was not feeling well.

"Carina, what's wrong?" Maggie asked, noticing the Italian had all but checked out of their conversation which was not at all like her.

"Sorry," Carina said, "I'm just tired I think, and anxious. I think I am just going to go back upstairs if that's ok."

"Of course," Maggie nodded, noticing Carina was looking pretty pale, "Here, I'll come with you."

They walked toward the elevators, Carina tossing her still mostly full container of soup. Once they were in the elevator, Maggie reached up, putting a hand on Carina's forehead.