Part 22

The next time Maya woke up, it was to her wife racing out of bed and into the bathroom. The blonde sighed, rubbing her eyes as she looked at the time. They had slept for about an hour, and shockingly, Maya was still feeling pretty ok. She sat the bed up a little, reaching for her phone. She had a few messages, mostly from people at the station, just checking in. She texted everyone back, just letting them know how things were going before she heard a knock at the door.

"Hey," Amelia said, coming in, "I hear we are spreading our infections around up here."

"I didn't mean to," Maya sighed, "But yeah, I did."

Just then, the bathroom door, opened, Carina coming out and slowly making her way back to bed.

"Hey," she said weakly, smiling at Amelia as she climbed into bed, pulling her blanket around her body which was feeling rather cold all of a sudden, "How are you?"

"I am fine," Amelia said, shaking her head, "You, on the other hand, do not look fine."

"I just don't feel good," Carina shrugged, rubbing her eyes, "But I'll be ok."

"Well, I am on Carina dinner duty tonight," Amelia said, "But I wasn't sure if you were going to be up for any food so I decided to stop by and see."

"I need to eat if I want to stay," Carina sighed, wincing as cramps ran through her belly, "But I'm not hungry at all."

"You are not going to force food into your body if you are sick," Maya said, looking at her wife, knowing how awful she was feeling.

"But Bailey said..." Carina said, moving closer to Maya.

"I don't care what Bailey says," Maya said, "You're sick. The rules no longer apply. You're the one who taught me that."

"She's right," Amelia said, "Bailey won't care. And if she says something, I will lie and tell her I fed you. No offense, but you look terrible."

"Shut up," Carina mumbled, letting her eyes slip shut as she cuddled into Maya's side, careful not to hit anything as her wife slowly rubbed her back, falling asleep quickly.

"Thanks for checking on us," Maya said, smiling at Amelia as she felt Carina's breathing evening out, "It really means a lot to know that you and everyone else is here for us."

"You guys are basically family," Amelia shrugged, "Plus, you are always taking care of us. The amount of times you two have helped us with Scout, plus, Carina literally saved my life so...Also, it's just what friends do."

"Well, still, you guys have all gone above and beyond since I have been here," Maya said, "And I really appreciate it. She is...my whole world and I know how hard of a time she has when I just get a little bit hurt so amplifying that to this situation...I am just glad she had amazing people there looking out for her when I couldn't."

"Any time," Amelia said, nodding, "Now, do you need anything? Clothes or...I don't know...Anything?"

"I think I'm ok," Maya said, looking down at Carina as the Italian whined a little in her sleep.

"Shhhh," Maya said gently, rubbing her back before looking back at Amelia, "I feel so bad for getting her sick."

"It happens," Amelia shrugged, "She wasn't about to leave you any more than we forced her to which slightly increased her risk, and then she just got really unlucky."

"Seems to be a theme in our lives right now," Maya sighed, shaking her head, "Though I guess I shouldn't complain because guess who took a step today."