Part 19

That night was worse than the one before for both Maya and Carina. Every hour from 11 pm to 5 am, Maya was kicking Carina out of the room as her stomach ran worse than she ever thought possible. The time between these bouts of diarrhea brought cramps and nausea that had the blonde in tears for at least half the night, leaving Carina feeling very overwhelmed because she couldn't help her feel better.

Finally, around 6 am, Maya managed to drift off to sleep which made Carina extremely happy because seeing her wife in that much pain and distress and not being able to do anything about it was so hard. However, because of how overwhelmed she was feeling, the Italian didn't actually manage to get any sleep until after to 8 am after working herself through a panic attack.

Also, her own stomach had decided it was unhappy in the middle of the night, which she knew was probably a combination of stress and her own course of antibiotic being hard on her stomach, but the extra trips to the bathroom and the rung out feeling she had were not helping anything.

Around 11, Carina woke up to Maya shaking her a little.

"It's happening again," the blonde groaned, "Please go?"

"Si," Carina nodded, forcing her exhausted body out of bed as the nurse walked in.

As Carina stood in the hall waiting for her wife to be done, Amelia walked up to her.

"Hey," the neurosurgeon said, "I came to bring you breakfast this morning, but the nurse said you two were still sleeping. Rough night?"

"Si," Carina yawned, "Maya was so sick for most of it. She was awake from 11 to 6 because of her stomach and then I couldn't fall asleep until close to 8, and I am also not feeling great right now."

"Did you catch c. diff?" Amelia asked, looking at Carina.

"I don't think so," Carina said, stretching a little, "I think it is just nerves and my antibiotics, but if I feel worse, I will get tested."

"So, I'm guessing you are not in the mood for pancakes then?" Amelia asked, "That's what I brought for breakfast for you."

"Not really," Carina said, hand on her stomach, "I was going to ask the nurses if I could have some yogurt and dry toast."

"I can make that happen," Amelia said, "I'm waiting for my patient who is in CT. I'll go grab that stuff for you and be right back."

"Grazie," Carina sighed, leaning against the wall.

Her anxiety, which was already crazy stupid high from not sleeping, was getting worse as she thought about going to her therapy session in just a few hours.

Just then, the nurse came back out, gesturing that Carina could go back in. The Italian walked into the room, offering her wife a weak smile.

"How are you feeling this morning Bambina?" Carina asked, kissing Maya's forehead.

"Terrible," Maya said, rubbing her eyes, "What time is it?"

"It's close to 11:30," Carina said, "You slept through rounds and I think through morning physical therapy."

"I don't think my body would have cooperated enough for therapy this morning," Maya said, "I feel so weak and shaky. I thought I would be feeling better by today."

"It usually takes at least 48 hours," Carina said, "But sometimes more. You just have to have patience with your body."

"How are you feeling this morning?" Maya asked, "Did you get any sleep?"

"Maybe about two or three hours," Carina shrugged.

"You should go down to your office and take a nap where I won't be keeping you up," Maya said, frowning, "You need rest."