Part 17

Turns out, Carina did not need her alarm because her wife's stomach woke them both up with how unhappy it was about two hours after she fell asleep, gurgling loudly.

"Carina," Maya groaned, the brunette already getting up as the blonde hit the call button.

"I'm going Bambina," Carina assured her as she went to scrub her hands, "Are you ok?"

"I feel so sick," Maya said, her stomach continuing to make itself heard.

The nurse came running in as Carina headed toward the door, everyone hoping to avoid the incident that had happened last time.

Carina stood in the hall, blinking a little as her eyes adjusted to the lights after being in the dark room. She hasn't fallen asleep, her mind to busy and anxious, but lying next to Maya at least took some of the edge off of how she was feeling.

She was pretty worried about her wife, terrified that her kidney was going to shut all the way down again. Her poor body had been through so much, and while Carina knew they were trying to keep on top of her hydration, Maya's body was pretty clearly not doing a great job keeping it in.

Carina stood in the hall, trying to remind herself to breathe when Bailey walked up.

"Deluca, how are you doing?" the chief asked, looking at her friend.

"Better than yesterday," Carina said, almost reaching up to scratch the side of her head only to remember she had stitches, pulling her hand back down, "But Maya is really feeling sick today so it is hard."

"I can't believe she picked up c. diff," Bailey said, shaking her head, "Have you been eating and sleeping?"

"Si," Carina nodded, "I had breakfast this morning and then I am going to get lunch with Teddy later, hopefully, although we are hopefully going to talk to Andy and the rest of 19 when they get their new engine in about an hour."

"Oh, Ben mentioned that was today," Bailey nodded, "He is bringing Joey and Tuck down to see it I think. I'm sure your wife is wishing she could be there."

"Si," Carina nodded, "Although, I don't even know if she remembers it is happening today. She had been so out of it because she is not feeling well."

"I'm sure," Bailey nodded, "What are you doing out here?"

"She does not want me in the room when...you know...she is still using a bed pan and..." Carina said, not really wanting to go into detail.

"Oh, of course," Bailey nodded, "I didn't even think. That makes sense."

Just then, the nurse came out of Maya's room.

"You can go back in Dr. Deluca. Oh, wait, take this," the nurse said, handing Carina an emesis basin.

"What happened?" Carina asked, concerned.

"Nothing yet," the nurse said, shaking her head, "And I am going to get her some Zofran so hopefully nothing ever, but she said she's incredibly nauseous right now so just in case."

Carina sighed, taking the basin.

"Well, I will see you later," Carina said to Bailey.

"Let me know if either of you need anything," Bailey said as she walked away.

Carina went back into the room that was pretty dark, finding her wife just lying there with her eyes closed.

"I hear you are feeling worse Bambina," Carina said, gently stroking her hair as she sat down, keeping the basin close.