XXII: Falkirk

FALKIRK FIELD, DOUGLAS PROVINCE, DAWN, MARCH 17

Morning arrived in Falkirk. It was March so it was getting warmer and the snow had begun to melt. At dawn, the field was completely empty and nobody was there. However, a few Scottish troops came onto the field and poured oil all over the grass. It seemed questionable, but it had a purpose.

NOON

The battle was about to begin. Clan Avatar had brought with them 15,000 Scots and 400 troops from the Water Tribe, while the English had 25,000 soldiers.

William Jr, Robert, Hamish, Campbell, and Morrison made their way through the crowd to the front wearing leather body armor and carrying large swords, except Hamish who carried a battle axe. They got to the front where William, Sokka, the Kyoshi Warriors, the Freedom Fighters, and Stephen were. The rest of the Gaang was also up there.

"Zuko isn't coming.", Aang said.

"He'll come.", William said. "Look. Mornay and Lochlan are here. If they showed up, so will Zuko."

"Well, I hope you're right. In that case, we'll leave here to do your thing. Good luck."
Aang and Katara then left and settled towards the back of the crowd.

"You be careful out there", Toph said to William.

"Don't worry about me. If I die, my conscience is clear. Remember that."

"I'm not worried...whatever.", Toph said before leaving. She tried to not act worried, but she was. Her husband and all five of her sons were going into battle.

Aang, Katara, and Toph had to stay behind, and for good reason. Sometime after the Hundred Year War, Aang gathered together all the other world leaders to make specific rules for engagement in future wars to ensure that the nations at least remained civil if they fought each other. One of the rules stated that nonbenders would go into battle first. After one side was worn down enough, they would order their benders into battle and the opposing side would then do the same.

On the other side of battlefield, Longshanks was in the back of the crowd on horseback. He turned to a knight in full body armor including a helmet that completely masked his face.

"Quite a lovely day for a bloodbath. Wouldn't you agree?"

The knight nodded.

A high ranking commander then turned to Longshanks and said, "The archers are ready, sir."

"Let's not use the archers right away. My instincts tell me that the Scots' archers are miles away and are no threat at all. Arrows cost money. Use up the Irish. If they're dead, they cost nothing. And then sent in the infantry and calvary."

The battle started with soldier ordering the Irish infantry of 300 soldiers to advance. The Irish soldiers, who were also in kilts like the Scottish, pointed their spears forward and slowly began making their way across the battlefield. A ways behind them, the English infantry also started to advance.

As they got closer, the Scottish, with William and the others in front, also began walking across the field. As both groups got closer and closer, they picked up speed and went from walking to jogging to running. The Scottish also pointed their weapons forward and it appeared that an epic fight was about to begin.

They got closer and closer until they all stopped right in front of each other. Longshanks was confused until the Irish and the Scottish walked up and shook each other's hands, greeting each other.

He thought the bribe worked, but Stephen and the Irish council, who had always pledged to remain loyal to Scotland, had double-crossed him behind his back. Under his breath, Longshanks muttered, "Irish...Damn them.", in disgust.