Alan-freaking-Rickman

I was dumb.

No, scratch that.

I was stupid.

Why did I have to blurt that out? Why did I have to be so goddamn geeky? What possessed me to say something that lame?

......I liked Severus before I liked you....

Seriously?

I was looking at Alan from the corner of my eyes, praying the ground would swallow me whole. Blushing fifty shades of crimson I held my breath, wondering for the umpteenth time why on earth I always had to pull stunts like these and embarrass myself.

Silence settled over us, Alan giving me one long look that I couldn't quite decipher.

To my eternal surprise instead of, I don't know, push me out of the moving vehicle and end my misery, he laughed. He threw his head back and laughed, a throaty sound that was just as sexy as I had imagined it would be. His shoulders were shaking with laughter, and I couldn't help the smile that was tugging at my lips, despite the embarrassment that was running hot through my veins.

"Well... that's a first" Alan finally said, shaking his head with a wide smile plastered on his face.

"Really?" I muttered under my breath, suddenly feeling like it was a thousand degrees inside the car, reaching up to tug at the collar of my sweater to try and loosen it a bit "No one has embarrassed themselves in your company?"

"Well..... not like you just did" Alan said with another amused chuckle.

"Great" I grunted sarcastically "Well, at least I made a fool out of myself in a unique way...."

He just looked highly amused.

"So you've got a thing for Severus, eh?" he questioned, his smile broadening at my obvious humiliation.

I groaned, pinching the bridge of my nose with my fingers, closing my eyes as I tried to forget what I had just done.

"I appreciate the complexity of an intriguing character with an interesting background" I said sullenly, refusing to meet his eyes.

"You mean he was a jerk" Alan chuckled.

I thought about that for a second.

"Yes, he was" I conceded "But there is a depth to his character that I like. Tormented, tortured, and yet the opposite of every other martyr or hero we're used to"

"Interesting character analysis" Alan commented.

"I try" I grumbled sarcastically "Nothing like making a fool of yourself like basing it on a well sustained argument"

Alan nodded, humming his agreement, clearly amused by my awkwardness.

A silence settled over us, but it wasn't awkward-except maybe for the fact that I was considering throwing myself out of the moving vehicle from embarrassment.

"So, Miss Marquez....what is it you do for a living?" Alan finally asked, eyes darting over to meet mine.

"Besides embarrassing myself in public?" I muttered sarcastically

"I suppose if anyone would be able to do that for a living it would be you" Alan commented, still smiling.

"Thank you" I said, voice dripping with sarcasm "Anyways....besides a professional fool I moonlight as a Business Associate at a big Bio-medical Corporation in London"

He seemed genuinely surprised at my answer.

"Sounds like a challenging job" Alan finally said, obviously impressed.