January: Cheers to a New Year

Daphne POV

"I hear you've got some exciting news to share with me," Dr. Kallen announces his presence while walking into the exam room.

I sit on the edge of the exam chair undressed from the waist down, covered by a blanket that looks like it is just shy of being as thin as paper. At least it did come from a small heated container that hums in the corner of the room. Chris stands next to me, too anxious to sit in the provided chair, his hand rotating from resting on my arm to resting on my back.

"We do! Or at least we're pretty sure we do," I ramble. "Hoping you can be the one to tell us for sure, but we believe we're pregnant. I mean according to two pregnancy tests we are, but-"

"She needs you to confirm it for her before she'll fully relax and believe it," Chris interrupts my rambling, squeezing my hand with his to reassure me and attempt to calm my nerves.

Dr. Kallen looks back at us both with a smile. "It's pretty difficult to get two false positives. Did you leave a urine sample?"

"Yes."

"Let me go see what it shows and I'll be right back." He excuses himself from the room.

"You need to relax, babe," Chris tells me.

I let my brow raise as I meet his gaze. "You're one to talk. Why don't you sit down? Maybe then I wouldn't feel so antsy."

Chris gives a light kiss to my forehead. "We both know that me sitting will not change your nerves, sweetheart. But, I guess I can appease you." He moves the chair to sit right beside the table, returning his hand to my own.

I take a breath threw my nose and blow it out of my mouth as my heart races. I was thankful we didn't have to wait too terribly long to get the appointment, happy that they were open the day after New Years and that it worked around Chris' schedule.

There's a sharp knock on the door, alerting us to the doctor's return. "Well, Mr. and Mrs. Evans, cheers to you this year. You are pregnant!"

I've heard those words said to me three times now, and I'm still not use to them. They make my heart skip a beat, a chuckle leave my throat, a smile cross my lips and tears fall from my eyes. Another squeeze to my hand before a kiss is brought to my lips.

I hear Dr. Kallen move around the room before I actually see him doing so as I'm lost in Chris' eyes once again. Seeing the joy on his face the last week has filled my heart in a way I didn't know possible.

"What do y'all say we take a peek at your little one?" the doctor offers.

"Seriously?" I ask with a jerk of my head in his direction.

He nods his head as he reaches for the sonogram gel. "Lay back and let's see little baby Evans."

I lay back on the table, lifting my shirt a bit. My stomach hasn't changed at this point, outside of feeling a bit bloated. I just figured the couple of pounds I'd put on was from our time at Disney because let's face it, calories don't count at Disney.

I expect the gel to be cold but am pleasantly surprised it's warm as well. Next he takes the wand and places it over my lower abdomen, spreading the gel around. He applies pressure, not too much but enough as he taps a couple of buttons on the small computer of the ultrasound machine. The screen isn't facing us yet, so I bounce between watching his face and Chris' of which he holds my gaze except for the few glances down at my stomach.

"Perfect," Dr. Kallen says aloud before turning the screen to face us. He points to what looks like a fuzzy white kidney bean in a circle of black. "Right there. That is your baby."