May (Part 3)

Daphne lays flat on her back in bed, watching as the dark room changes every few minutes as the sun rises a bit more. Glancing to her left she sees, and hears, a snoring Chris curled onto his side facing her. 

  She has been awake most of the night, tossing and turning, never able to get herself in a comfortable position for very long. To the right of her, on the floor, is countless pillows she attempted to sleep on, all in different places but yet never giving her the relief she needed. 

  Daphne groans, rolling back over onto her right side, wincing in pain. She takes a breath in through her nose before pushing it out of her mouth. Dodger picks his head up from his spot on the floor, checking in with his mama. She rests just a moment before throwing her legs off the side of the bed, sitting up completely. Daphne fixes the nightgown she wears, situating herself back into place before standing. 

  "Ow!" she says louder than expected as she stands up. She drops back to sitting on the bed.

  "Daph," Chris says groggily. "What's wrong?" He shifts up onto an elbow.

  She turns to pout at him. "My feet. They hurt so much."

  Chris sits up completely in bed. "Get back in bed. I'll get you breakfast, you can rest until you have to get up."

  "Well, I appreciate the offer but there's something you can't do for me."

  He stands up, grabbing a pair of sweat pants from the edge of the bed. "I'm sure I can take care of everything you need. What is it?"

  She cocks her head at him, brow raised. "Can you empty my bladder for me?"

  Chris stares up at the ceiling, sucking his tongue between his teeth. "That's all you, babe," he points moth index fingers at me.

  "That's what I thought." She shifts again, standing back up, keeping one hand on the bed as she moves around it making her way to the bathroom. "How am I suppose to do this for another month and a half?" 

  "With as much help as you need," he answers his bride, offering her his hand to guide her through her time in the bathroom. "And after today, you can stay off of your feet as much as you need to."

  Two hours later Chris is dropping Daphne off at the ceremony site. Daphne waddles towards the entrance to the bridal suite, shuffling along in a pair of slippers. 

  "How are you feelin, little mama?" Charlotte asks, holding the door open for Daphne and Chris. 

  "Hurting," she groans, but in true Daphne fashion still smiles through the pain. Chris follows behind her, hanging her dress up with the others and setting her bag down in a corner. 

  "What can I do, sweetie?" she questions Daphne, but is more expectant of an answer from Chris. 

  "That should be my question to you," Daphne responds, pulling the young girl in for an embrace. "It's your wedding day!"

  Charlotte eyes Chris over Daphne's shoulder while they hug, silently questioning him. "Daphne, why don't you sit and put your feet up," he tells her, pointing to the couch and coffee table. 

  "That's not a bad idea," she whispers, more to herself. 

  Chris follows her to the couch, carrying her very large jug of water that she conveniently left behind in the car. "Ya know, Charlotte, you make me feel like I'm married to a young one," Daphne teases, taking her place in the middle of the couch.

  "What do you mean?"

  Daphne reaches up for Chris to sit next to her. Once he does she reaches over, grabbing both of his cheeks with one hand, pressing on either side causing him to purse his lips. "Look at this baby face!"  The room erupts in laughter at her declaration, along with the silly look on his face.