Chapter 1

{Note: while mostly following the main plot line, this story will have mentions of modern day aspects such as music and technology. I know that some readers don't like this as it conflicts with the timeline so I wanted to mention this beforehand.}

You'd think after many therapy and healer sessions these past few months Harry would have a better grasp on his feelings, but when a multitude hit him at once they were harder to process. There he stood on the empty Platform 9 3/4, staring up at the Hogwarts Express, which somehow seemed more daunting now than it did when he was 11.

Now at 18 years old, Harry didn't know what was in store for him. After being told what to do for so long, he had a great fear of the unknown, accompanied by PTSD and anxiety amongst other things. He was good at hiding it outwardly, but loud noises that were unexpected had the potential to send him spiraling.

September 1st brought a fresh wave of anxiety and nausea, and Harry missed Felix already. He brought Harry great comfort and he couldn't wait to be reunited with him at Hogwarts. For now, this was his journey to make alone.

One of the conditions he negotiated on for his return was that his first journey back to the platform be done by himself. He didn't want anyone to know where he would be sitting, or watch the pain flicker across his face and tears fill his eyes.

"It's okay to cry," he reminded himself. "No one is here."

He had an allotted 10 minutes to get settled, and took that time to perfectly select a compartment for himself. His friends were told that he would find them if needed as they had chosen their usual compartment. Harry had time, and he would use it.

Harry chose a compartment towards the back, in the "Slytherin" section as no one would look for him there. That is where he stayed, a charm on the door to repel people. He removed it a few minutes later, exhaling shakily as he felt the train prepare to move.

There was a knock on his door, and his head shot up in surprise. Pulling the shade aside, he peeked out to see a flash of platinum blonde hair. Harry unlocked the door and Malfoy quickly entered, closing the door behind him.

"Thank- Potter."

Harry Potter was the last person Draco Malfoy expected to run into, especially so soon after the war.

"I can find another compartment."

"You can stay."

The words were out of Harry's mouth before he knew what he was saying. He recognized the panicked look on Malfoy's face and took pity on the other man.

"You look like you're here alone for a reason."

"Trying not to have a panic attack is all."

Draco raised an eye at the brutal honesty, and was debating whether or not to stay.

"You can sit, Malfoy. We're about to leave."

"Thank you Potter."

They sat in silence for a few moments and as the train finally pulled away, Harry released the breath he had been holding, as did Malfoy. Their eyes met, and Draco tentatively smiled at Harry. It was so foreign to see the soft smile on Malfoy's face that Harry couldn't help but smile back.

"Do you want a cookie?," Harry asked suddenly, a few minutes later.

"I'm sorry did you just offer me a cookie?"

"I made them this morning," Harry offered sheepishly.

"You bake?"

"Thought you knew everything about me after a few years of stalking Malfoy?," Harry teased, pulling out a tin.