Chapter 8

It was Saturday once again, which meant it was time for their first joint healer session. If it wasn't for Felix, Draco didn't think he would've made it out of the eighth year dorms.

"Malfoy, are you sure that you want to come? You don't have to if you're not ready yet."

"I know that I don't have to do anything. These feelings are very complicated and it's her job to get paid to figure them out."

Laughing, Harry threw his arm around Draco's shoulders.

"That's the spirit! Really though, if you're ever uncomfortable and want to leave, let me know. We need a code word. Or maybe a specific phrase?"

"Hmm. How about 'Draco is my favorite person?' I feel that has a nice ring to it," Draco teased, winking at Harry.

"While that is a true statement, it needs to be easier to slip into a casual conversation. I can't continuously sing your praises, you'll get an even bigger head than you already have," Harry replied with a snicker, dodging the playful hand Draco threw his way. "What if I ask if you want to play a seeker's match? We can use that any time, it's normal for us."

"When did you finally grow a brain? I'm impressed, Potter."

"I've simply been extracting your brain cells while you're asleep."

"Honestly? I bet you could find a way to do that. You're smarter than you give yourself credit for, you know."

"Oh. Thank you."

"I'm ready now. Let's go."

When they arrived in front of Healer Athena's door, Harry watched Draco tilt his head down and take a calming breath. Telling Felix to sit, he gently grabbed both of Draco's hands, and whispered, "hey."

Draco looked up, and Harry saw the emotions flicker across his face before he schooled his expressions.

"It's okay, I promise you. No matter what happens, it's you and me yeah? There's next to nothing that you could say that would make me abandon you Draco. It will be okay."

Hearing Harry say his first name was enough for Draco's eyes to water, and he pulled Harry into a tight hug.

"I promise too," came his choked reply.

"Let's do this, together."

Harry knocked on the door, and if Healer Athena was surprised to see Draco accompanying Harry, she didn't show it.

"Boys, come in please."

Draco sat in the seat next to Harry, his foot anxiously tapping. Felix placed his head on Draco's knee, forcing him to stop the nervous habit.

The healer addressed Harry for a few minutes, the conversation contained in a privacy bubble. She passed Draco some forms in regards to consent and other legal matters that he read thoroughly, absentmindedly petting Felix as he finally signed his name in the indicated spaces. Handing the papers to the healer, he sat back in his seat.

"Mr. Malfoy, what are your intentions with Harry?"

"Healer Athena-," Harry began, outraged.

"Draco, please. Mr. Malfoy is my father. I hold no ill intentions, but I understand why you wouldn't believe that. I've given you no reason to trust me. You've never met me before and try as you might to stay partial, I'm sure what you've heard of myself and my history makes it hard for you to trust me.

I didn't go out seeking Potter if that's what you're asking. I quite literally stumbled into his train compartment, and he invited me to accompany him on the ride to Hogwarts. I think he recognized the panicked look in my eyes and took pity on me, because he could see some of himself reflected in my expression. So, we talked on the way to Hogwarts. He offered me cookies in true Potter fashion, and I was able to thank him in person for saving me.